Very loud fuel pump

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

morris
MS/Extra Newbie

Very loud fuel pump

Post by morris »

This may be a dumb or impossible to answer question, but....

I a bought a supposedly brand new fuel pump from a place called efuelpumps.com. The pump came in unmarked packaging (so I don't know a part number), but seemed to be fine on visually inspection. It was advertised to be for Rennaults, Alfa's, and a few other Euro cars I can't remember right now, so I am assuming it is probably a Bosh replacement perhaps from an L-jetronic system.

Anyway, the pump is insane, claw your ears off loud. Also it "ticks" off every now and again and occasionally makes a screeching noise.

I am assuming that I am screwed. But before I go down that path, is it possible that I am missing something? Like a pulsator or resistor or something? The pump does quiet down a bit when I flick the lights on.

Thanks,

Morris
BottleFed70
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by BottleFed70 »

How is it mounted?

My pump came with a mounting kit that consisted on some rubber-coated clamps and a thick foam sleeve the slipped over the pump body. And even then it makes more noise than I would like.
1970 Ford Mustang
MSII, v3.0 PCB, v2.36 firmware, Megatune 2.25
Jack
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Jack »

Your mounting may the the source. I mounted mine in exhaust pipe clamps, but lined the clamps with pieces of fuel hose and it's a lot quieter than I thought it would be.

If you use exhause pipe clamps, buy some nylock nuts for the U-bolt side, and make sure you don't tighten them up too much, as this type of clamp could crush a fuel pump.

Jack
Good judgment comes from experience.
And where does experience come from?
Experience comes from bad judgment.
. . . . . . . Mark Twain
famouspotatoes1
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by famouspotatoes1 »

You might want to make sure your inlet is free-flowing. Fuel pumps can make some awful noise when they are cavitating due to a restricted inlet or insufficient pressure at the inlet of the fuel pump. Make sure it is as close to the fuel tank as possible.
As far as mounting, the guys are right on about mounting with some rubber between the pump body and clamp. A rubber inner-tube for a tire would work well and be durable in the weather.

Good luck,

Mike
keithmac
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by keithmac »

If you have a lift pump check that, make sure the main pump wasn`t designed to run with a lift pump?
Squirted VW GTI 16vG60 mk2