Looking for hookup info on MSII V3.0 to TFI with MSD

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

IcantDo55
MS/Extra Newbie

Looking for hookup info on MSII V3.0 to TFI with MSD

Post by IcantDo55 »

Looking for hookup info on MSII on V3.0 to TFI with MSD. Its on an 89 Mustang 5.0

I think I got the rest hooked up but there seems to be a few different diagrams out there to wire the TFI and I'd like to do it only once. I would like to know what exactly needs to be hooked up to the TFI module. I will be using an MSD box.

-Mike
www.IcantDo55.com
89 Mustang A4 Block, bored & stroked 349 cid, AFR 205's, Edelbrock Victor 5.0, Paxton Novi 2000 SC, Tremec TKO.
IcantDo55
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by IcantDo55 »

ttt :RTFM:
-Mike
www.IcantDo55.com
89 Mustang A4 Block, bored & stroked 349 cid, AFR 205's, Edelbrock Victor 5.0, Paxton Novi 2000 SC, Tremec TKO.
FoundSoul
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by FoundSoul »

Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'
Founder DIYAutoTune.com / AMPEFI.com

The DIY EFI Tuners Guide – How to Install, Configure, and Tune EFI!

Killer Products We've Brought to Life:
MS3Pro, MSPNP and MS3Pro PNP
More info on MSPNP Models
MicroSquirt AMP'd!
IcantDo55
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by IcantDo55 »

FoundSoul wrote:Have you seen this page yet?

http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_article ... ustang.htm
Thatmight just do it. I saw that a few days ago and the one diagram I needed said "for magasquirt and MSD" so I blew over it thinking it did not count for the MSII and it does. oops. :shock:
-Mike
www.IcantDo55.com
FoundSoul
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by FoundSoul »

That diagram is for MSnS_E, may work for you with MS-II but the MS_II specific TFI and MSD 6a stuff is here:

http://www.megasquirt.info/ms2/TFI.htm

http://www.megasquirt.info/ms2/msd6a.htm

Basically you do just the input mod from the TFI link, and you do the MAD 6a output setup.

Input Mod: You install a 1k 1/4w resistor in place of D2

Output: install the high current ignition driver circuit (step#65) and connect the white wire to pin #36 of the DB37 connector.
Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'

MicroSquirt AMP'd!
IcantDo55
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by IcantDo55 »

FoundSoul wrote:That diagram is for MSnS_E, may work for you with MS-II but the MS_II specific TFI and MSD 6a stuff is here:

http://www.megasquirt.info/ms2/TFI.htm

http://www.megasquirt.info/ms2/msd6a.htm

Basically you do just the input mod from the TFI link, and you do the MAD 6a output setup.

Input Mod: You install a 1k 1/4w resistor in place of D2

Output: install the high current ignition driver circuit (step#65) and connect the white wire to pin #36 of the DB37 connector.
Ok sorry for being slow here. I :RTFM: that pin 36 goes to the white wire on the MSD, no problem. Pin 24 goes to the PIP signal on the TFI conector (blue wire), no problem. What about the other 5 wires on the TFI plug? Some diagrams say there is a ground and cross the two middle ones and apply contant power?

So I gor the PIP blue wire part but what do I do with the other 5 wires?
Thanks
-Mike
www.IcantDo55.com
FoundSoul
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by FoundSoul »

The info I have says the middle two wires need 12v+ in run and crank and the black wire needs ground.

I just bought an 88 GT last night that I'll be using soon to get some first hand experience with these beasts to better be able to help you guys out. Gotta go pick it up this weekend.

Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'

MicroSquirt AMP'd!
IcantDo55
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by IcantDo55 »

Well thats what I did ::fingers crossed:: :?

Nice car. All stock? Now you just need a SuperCharger! :twisted:

PS: any clue what size fuse should go on the power wire to the TFI?
-Mike
www.IcantDo55.com
FoundSoul
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by FoundSoul »

I'm not sure on that TFI fuse... might try a 5amp and keep a couple 10/15 around just in case. There are more scientific ways to do this as well ;).

The car is definitely not stock, but the wiring isn't hacked up and the ignition system is mostly stock apart from an MSD coil/cap/wires. No 6a box or aftermarket TFI module. It does have a FRP Mass Air Conversion kit but that's all PnP and easily reversible. It was important to me that the wiring was untouched by and large since I bought it for EMS testing and development purposes.

Owner claims 300hp/330ftlbs at the crank with these mods:

# 5.0 liter V8
# World Class T5 5-speed
# Ford Motorsports Mass Air Conversion
# Cobra Upper and Lower Intake
# 65mm Edelbrock BBK Throttle Body
# K&N Filter
# Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator
# GT-40P Heads
# Crower 15511 Cam
# MSD Ignition (Coil / Cap & Rotor / Wires only)
# Centerforce Clutch
# Hurst Short Throw Shifter
# 3-Core Radiator
# MAC Shorty Headers
# 2.5in Offroad H-pipe (No CATS)
# 2 Chamber Flowmasters
# SVO 3.73 Rearend Gears
# SVO Rearend Girdle
# Maximum Motorsports Camber Caster Plates
# Bullitt Shocks
# Bullitt Springs
# Carbon Metallic Front Brake Pads
# Welded Subframe Connectors
# Lower K-Brace
# Cervini Fiberglass Lift-Off Cowl Hood

They're using the ECU that came with the Mass Air conversion kit (93 GT or Cobra ECU) and 'tuning' the car with the Adj. FPR. I'm thinking this is going to be a good example of what an average Mustang with a bucketload of parts thrown at it can do if you actually set it up with proper engine management.

So the plan is to tune it up first, change the fluids, install CATs as they're gone and I've got to pass emissions here in GA. And then baseline it as it is now. On a local dyno that I can use again later and on a local drag strip. And probably for highway gas mileage to boot. Then I'll have my new guy (Josh) work on MegaSquirting it-- it'll be his first project so it won't happen overnight but this car is serving double duty as I've got to get him up to speed quickly so he can help me out from a support perspective here and throwing a car and a bunch of EMS stuff at him is the best way I know to do that. I'll be involved for sure, just not making all of the calls for him. Then we'll start dialing it in and see if we can make it A) pass emissions, B) get better highway gas mileage than it does now and C) make a good bit more power than it does now. I think all three should be very possible.

Then.... turbo? Supercharger? Who knows...

I've already got someone trying to trade me for a 93 LX coupe, but I doubt I'm interested at all. It would have to be a nice car.

Here's the goodies:

Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'

MicroSquirt AMP'd!
IcantDo55
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by IcantDo55 »

300/330 soulds a bit low. Thats about 255 hp at the wheels counting in a 15% loss in the drive train. I've seen cars with simular mods put down 280rwhp.

Nice bolt on's to start with. Remember 5.0's love timimg, put some colder plugs in there and bump the base timing to 16* and she will fly. Keep raising the timing till it pings and then back it down a little :?
-Mike
www.IcantDo55.com
FoundSoul
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by FoundSoul »

I'll check the base timing and play with it a bit before baselining it. If it turns out that it likes 16 degrees base then we'll go with that and see what it puts down to the wheels. He was probably guesstimating so it might be making a bit more-- but I'm confident that after a good tune there's a few more ponies waiting to be unleashed with these mods on a stock ECU. I have no doubts.
Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'

MicroSquirt AMP'd!
IcantDo55
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by IcantDo55 »

FoundSoul wrote:I'll check the base timing and play with it a bit before baselining it. If it turns out that it likes 16 degrees base then we'll go with that and see what it puts down to the wheels. He was probably guesstimating so it might be making a bit more-- but I'm confident that after a good tune there's a few more ponies waiting to be unleashed with these mods on a stock ECU. I have no doubts.

Well I don't know much about MegaSquirt but I know Foxbody Mustangs. Feel free to ask me about stangs.
-Mike
www.IcantDo55.com
87vert
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 87vert »

IcantDo55 wrote:
FoundSoul wrote:I'll check the base timing and play with it a bit before baselining it. If it turns out that it likes 16 degrees base then we'll go with that and see what it puts down to the wheels. He was probably guesstimating so it might be making a bit more-- but I'm confident that after a good tune there's a few more ponies waiting to be unleashed with these mods on a stock ECU. I have no doubts.

Well I don't know much about MegaSquirt but I know Foxbody Mustangs. Feel free to ask me about stangs.
and i know quite a bit about both lol, I'm helping Icantdo55 megasquirt his stang,

i would guess 260/310 at the wheels with those mods,

put down 240/300 with a close setup (before turbos :) )through an auto
87 Mustang LX 5.0 Twin Turbo
Megasquirt v2.2 Running MSn'S'E
385/460 @11psi