Fuel Pressure Regulator

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Mark W
MS/Extra Newbie

Fuel Pressure Regulator

Post by Mark W »

I wonder if anyone can help me with the spec of Fuel Regulator. I am building a fuel rail and have obtained a Lucas 4RV FPR from a N/A Jaguar (also Part Numbered Bosch 0 280 160 712 !!).

The project vehicle is a Porsche 924 which will be supercharged as a next step.

Will I be able to use this FPR in a boosted application? Units designed for Turbo application are not easy to find in breakers yards.

I don't intend to use much boost, maybe 5-6 lbs (if i'm lucky!) and am wondering if I need to go to the expence of a new FPR. I realise that the unit is referenced against MAP, and this relationship will be lost when it goes positive (i.e. above 100), but surely this can be accounted for in the VE tables.......

Any help would be welcomed.

P.S. Yes I have RTFM and searched the forum. Couldn't see anything.

Mark
woh
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by woh »

When the fuel regulator is reference against MAP it will maintain a set pressure above MAP even if the MAP is greater than 100kPa. You should not have a problem with the regulator since it will maintain a set pressure that is always the same (say 36psi) The fuel pump will make up the additional pressure required for boost and will have to be able to deliver the additional boost pressure at the required flow. 5-6lb is not much extra for most EFI fuel pumps.

You'll want to be sure the regulator and fuel pump are rated/sized at the flow rate (HP) you'll be using by using a donor car with similar HP ratings.