ms-11 v3, tfi, relay board, fast idle, oxy sensor

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

pane
Helpful MS/Extra'er

ms-11 v3, tfi, relay board, fast idle, oxy sensor

Post by pane »

G'day from OZ!

I'm currently building my ms-11 with an electronic wiz from my dads work. I cant solder to save myself.

I'm building ms-11 on a version 3 board, i allready have an innovate motorsports wideband o2 sensor in the car with an analogue gauge, use the tfi modual and idle air solanoid, with it all connected to a relay board. The whole lot was purchased from diyautotune.com.

I'm a little stuck on a few things and confused at the same time. I'll start with the tfi.

I read about the mods for the v3 board to suit the tfi. I understand that a 100 ohm 1/4 pullup resistor needs to be placed from IGBTOUT to the via immediately below the S12 marking on the silk screen. but where is the jumper in the installation instructions and is the via just a hole in the board for a wire to be soldered into? Maybe i have misunderstood what i have to do!

Next the idle solanoid, i have 2 bits of information regarding the mods to make the PWM idle solanoid work. The first i have is the attached document and the second is what i have just read in the ms-11 section:

Obtain and mount a TIP120, TIP 121, or TIP 122 transistor (such as Digi-Key 497-2539-5-ND, 74¢ ea.). Mount it on either the heat sink (if you have a spare spot) or the case. You should use a mica insulator (4724K-ND, 93¢) and heat sink grease under the transistor as well.
Run wires to the Q4 connections as shown below:

Do not install Q20 or D8, and jumper R39.
Put a 1N4001 diode across the PWM Idle valve itself - the banded end goes to the 12 Volt supply, the non-banded end goes to the lead that goes to MegaSquirt (this diode is for flyback purposes on the idle valve).

So which do i use and how does it connect up with the relay board?

How does the lm1 wideband sensor connect to the ms-11?

help greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Officer, "you were seen doing burnouts in the main street"
"My car cant do burnouts yet"
Officer, "What do you mean by 'yet'"
"Waiting for megasquirt!!!!!!!!"
Officer "oh"
wes kiser
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by wes kiser »

TFI modifications- The jumper they are referring to is one you will need to install anyway to for the high current ignition wiring. You then run the resistor from s12 to this jumper you have already installed. It makes more sense when you are actually assembling, instead of reading the instructions. I have to take my board out to load some new code tonight, and I will take a picture of this "tfi mod". Also, even though you don't install r43, you have to install a jumper in it's place. One more tip, many people (including myself) have used a 330ohm pullup instead of the 100. This works fine, and will drop the current (compared to the 100 ohm)

pwm idle valve- basically all you are doing is removing the fidle transistor, and installing a beefier transistor in it's place (that is capable of driving the ford idle valve). You just solder wires to the q4 location on the board, and run them to the new transistor (which I mounted on the case to use as a heatsink). The pin layout for the tip120 compared to the small transistor Q4 is on the ms2 website. I will take pictures of this also while I am taking pictures. The pads for the small transistor are close together, so this is a time to use a good soldering iron tip.
86 Rx-7, swapped to 2.3 ford turbo (BW EFR 6758), ms3/ms3x sequential fuel /waste spark, ls2 coils
88 Tbird 2.3t, Microsquirt Module (PIMP), TFI ignition
pane
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by pane »

G'day

Thanks for that, i look foward to seeing the pics.

Cheers
Officer, "you were seen doing burnouts in the main street"
"My car cant do burnouts yet"
Officer, "What do you mean by 'yet'"
"Waiting for megasquirt!!!!!!!!"
Officer "oh"
wes kiser
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by wes kiser »

The picture of pwm idle vavle didn't turn out very well if you want it anyway I can email it to you or something (didn't want to waste space with a crappy pic).
As you can see, the pull-up resistor hooked to the jumper for TFI output is a very easy "mod".
86 Rx-7, swapped to 2.3 ford turbo (BW EFR 6758), ms3/ms3x sequential fuel /waste spark, ls2 coils
88 Tbird 2.3t, Microsquirt Module (PIMP), TFI ignition