Stupid question - do injectors have a polarity?

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

davo5
MS/Extra Newbie

Stupid question - do injectors have a polarity?

Post by davo5 »

If you reverse the direction of current you reverse the magnetic field which would push the needle away from the spring / port if you connected it the wrong way?

I am using toyota camry injectors with nippon denso connectors. There is a black with orange stripe and yellow.

Is it safe to assume black goes to MS to be switched to ground? Yellow goes to fused 12v?
jakobsladderz
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jakobsladderz »

Injectors are not polarised. Basically, if there's a magnetic field, they'll open. Hook them up how you please.
strangely enough I've had ignition coils that seem polarised (Toyota double-ended, they'd make a healthy spark one way, a click noise and no spark the other way), perhaps to damp any ringing or something like that...

Cheers
davo5
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by davo5 »

Thanks, although i need to look at some drawings and i am still perplexed as to how a magnetic feild in either direction can pull against a spring that can only open in one direction.

I have mucked around with some AC valves which were exactly the same, no matter which direction of current flow the needle would lift.

:?
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Take a normal straight magnet and place N or S poles beside a piece of steel - both attract to it, the polarity doesn't matter.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

jakobsladderz wrote:Injectors are not polarised. Basically, if there's a magnetic field, they'll open. Hook them up how you please.
strangely enough I've had ignition coils that seem polarised (Toyota double-ended, they'd make a healthy spark one way, a click noise and no spark the other way), perhaps to damp any ringing or something like that...

Cheers
Not too uncommon. I've seen ignition coil polarity mentioned in other sources before. I'll have to check the factory service manual for my '66 Dodge Dart, but I think it said that while the coil would still function if wired backwards it would produce a significantly weaker spark. The high tension circuit uses a common ground with one of the low tension terminals, so any coil that lacks an external high tension ground terminal (a feature I've never seen or even heard of in a production coil, but it's certainly possible...) would have polarity.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
jakobsladderz
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jakobsladderz »

It's common on conventional coils to have the positive terminal the common primary and secondary connections. The coil I was refering to was a double-ended coil (for wasted spark) with complete isolation from the primary to secondary, so it's very weird..