Fuel return line question

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

LR Max
MS/Extra Newbie

Fuel return line question

Post by LR Max »

I've researched but couldn't find an answer.

I am converting a vehicle over from carb to TBI. I've done a lot of reading and I've got a lot of stuff figured out (I think, we'll find out soon enough). One thing I haven't figured out is the fuel delivery and return system.

The vehicle I am installing on has 2 fuel tanks. On top of that, I am not too keen on drilling into any of the tanks. So I was wondering can my fuel return line be tied into the fuel delivery line with a T-connection before the fuel pump? I think this could work pretty good...I guess.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for an electric external fuel pump for a TBI? I think she'll be running under 20psi (I'll look at the book again). I looked at some from summit racing but they all seem pretty pricey.

Thank you.
hudsonhawk
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by hudsonhawk »

Typical TBI fuel pressure is 13 PSI and is regulated on the TB itself. So you want a pump that can maintain at least that amount of pressure under full throttle conditions. I went with an inline Holley TBI pump. You can also use the inline pump from a Ford Econoline van with TBI. Either of them is going to be some cash. The Ford one is cheaper and can be found at most autoparts stores if you dont like doing the junyard marathon.

I believe the Holley I have is rated at 25 PSI. So it is more then capable of handling the demands of the TBI.
'72 CJ-5 w/'83 AMC 258 running a late 80's GM TBI controlled by MegaSquirt.
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

My first thought is that the returning fuel has bubbles in it that when you return this to tank the bubbles just rise to the top on the tank harmlessly. With the way I understand your idea the bubles may get sucked in by the pressure pump. EFI high pressure pumps are not real fond of pumping bubbles on the intake side. Google cavitation and gasoline vapor pressure and vapor lock.

AW
Jack
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Jack »

whittlebeast wrote:My first thought is that the returning fuel has bubbles in. . .
AW
Where would these bubbles be coming from? I don't see what in a fuel system would create them.

Jack
Good judgment comes from experience.
And where does experience come from?
Experience comes from bad judgment.
. . . . . . . Mark Twain
fscott
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by fscott »

Jack wrote:
Where would these bubbles be coming from? I don't see what in a fuel system would create them.

Jack
The fuel in the rail is under pressure. As it passes through the rail and engine bay, it's heating up. Then it passes through the pressure regulator, and the pressure is released. So some of the components that want to evaporate at the higher temperature are now free to do so, and they can form bubbles.

It's like opening up a bottle of warm soda.

Fred
Jack
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Jack »

OK, learn something new every day.

Thanks,

Jack
Good judgment comes from experience.
And where does experience come from?
Experience comes from bad judgment.
. . . . . . . Mark Twain
DieselSJ
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by DieselSJ »

I know someone that had a setup like that a long time ago (on his AirSensors EFI system) and it seemed to work well. He did run the fuel through a small cooler that was mounted in front of the radiator.
1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 6.5L Turbo Diesel