no spark

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

metcap
Experienced MS/Extra'er

no spark

Post by metcap »

I'm running VR off my stock dizzy, MSII on V3. I did a cranking test today and I'm not getting any good spark. How do I determine if my vr polarity is correct or wrong way round, I dun have an analog meter on hand so having a hard time checking it out. 2 wires coming out of it, red and white, any good guess? When I did the assemble I selected TSEL to VROUT jumper, should I jumper to VROUTINV instead?

tkm
metcap
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by metcap »

What are you using to drive the ignition - VB921, and module, etc.?
I'm on a single VB921 and daughter card
What kind of vehicle?
it's a Toyota 2tg using a stock 2tgeu dizzy, I managed to borrow an analog meter from my friend today and with the red lead on the red wire and the black lead on the white wire, I get a positive reading when the lobe approaches the sensor and negative reading when leaving the sensor. Spark firing is very minimal and not constant. Injector pulse width during cranking is showing 6.4 on megatune.

tkm
metcap
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by metcap »

I've set the ignition input capture to falling edge and the crank trigger to calculated, with these settings I've manage to just get a slight stumble but nothing better.
Forgot to mention, on step 50 of the assembly guide I've omitted C30, D2 and C12 and put a jumper in place of D1. Is there any difference if I put these components in since I'm using VR?

tkm
metcap
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by metcap »

Do you mean MS-II, or one of the daughtercards that's been made for MSnS-E use?
I'm on MSII
What are your dwell settings?
dwell is at the default 3.1, I've tried lowering to 2.0 without any improvements.
Are you able to use a timing light to see if your timing is in the ballpark?
I don't have this with me at the moment so I think I'd have to borrow one and see what I have compared to trigger wizard.

I did change out to an ignition coil specifically used with an electronic igniter and got much better spark throw but still no signs of the engine starting. Is there anyway that it's not getting enough fuel for cranking? Is there any cranking enrichment settings?

tkm
metcap
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by metcap »

at last I've managed to get the engine started and as you adviced i checked the ignition trigger and it was off so I set it to the timing light and it fired up. But it just won't idle and I've to hold the throttle to get it running. I'm having a hard time tuning it and the ve shows in excess of 100% at 1200rpm. Black smoke when revving. Any advice to tune it would be great. BTW how to put values in the ve table? what does the numbers represent?

tkm