Why are new Injector so dang expensive?

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Bayley
MS/Extra Newbie

Why are new Injector so dang expensive?

Post by Bayley »

Hello everybody,
Long time reader… first time poster!

Anyway, I’m currently in the “planning stage” of converting a (very noxious and rich running) Small Block Chevy over to a ver 3.0 system this spring. While shopping around for fuel injectors, I first checked at summit racing’s web page. Wanting to eventually make about 500 hp, I pretty much settled on 36 lb/hr injectors. According to Summit, these little babies start around $400 for a set (of 8).

Question: What is stopping me from using my 440cc (42 lbs) injectors that I pulled out of my WRX and picking up another set on e-bay for $100? Am I missing something here? Are the BOSCH / Holley / ACCEL injectors from Summit made out of gold? It seems that with the boom of high(er) horsepower 4 cylinders and the rice-boy craze, there should be a surplus of higher flowing injectors that these kids are swapping out of their stock motors that can be used in 8 cylinder applications. Are there even less expensive alternatives that I’m not seeing? How different is the physical design of the Denso (I think that’s what I’ve got) injectors to the BOSCH or Holley units?
efahl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by efahl »

Bayley,

The prices are high because you are shopping in boutiques, not at K-Mart. Try

http://www.racetronix.com/
or
http://www.injectors4u.com/

We've used $25 racetronix injectors and they work just great.

Eric
78Spit1500Fed
MS/Extra Guru

Post by 78Spit1500Fed »

efahl wrote:The prices are high because you are shopping in boutiques, not at K-Mart.
Ha ha!!!

I hear those Martha Stewart injectors are a steal! (Pun intended)

(Did anyone see that drawing in Maxim where she had the words "knit" and "bake" tatooed on her knuckles? I laughed so hard I peed a little.)

-Brian