Ignition timing tables based on VE

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

fordfanboi
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Ignition timing tables based on VE

Post by fordfanboi »

I'm a little lost on the MAP info to enter.

I'm using the VE table generator and it lists 100kpa MAP at peak HP, TQ, and redline. When I crank up the car, I see a base MAP ( based on altitude ) of 83kpa and at idle, it's 78kpa. At WOT, it's back at 82-83 kpa again. So, since my HP / TQ peaks and redline are at WOT, wouldn't those be 82 and idle at 78? When I use those values, it pukes and tells me they're invalid.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
schmidt
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Ignition timing tables based on VE

Post by schmidt »

fordfanboi wrote:I'm a little lost on the MAP info to enter.

I'm using the VE table generator and it lists 100kpa MAP at peak HP, TQ, and redline. When I crank up the car, I see a base MAP ( based on altitude ) of 83kpa and at idle, it's 78kpa. At WOT, it's back at 82-83 kpa again. So, since my HP / TQ peaks and redline are at WOT, wouldn't those be 82 and idle at 78? When I use those values, it pukes and tells me they're invalid.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Fordfanboi,

First of all, congratulations ! Your car is awesome !
Silly question no.1 : Are you taking the map signal after your throttle body ?
Silly question no.2 : did you check your MAP hose? perhaps you'll find a hole on it
Do you use mild cams ? If so, you can tune it with alpha-n or Blend Alpha-N / Speed Density...

Hope you can understand my english... :lol:
Turbo 1996 Fox Wagon @ MS4AVP ECU running MS2-Extra ! :D
fordfanboi
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Ignition timing tables based on VE

Post by fordfanboi »

schmidt wrote:Fordfanboi,

First of all, congratulations ! Your car is awesome !
Silly question no.1 : Are you taking the map signal after your throttle body ?
Silly question no.2 : did you check your MAP hose? perhaps you'll find a hole on it
Do you use mild cams ? If so, you can tune it with alpha-n or Blend Alpha-N / Speed Density...

Hope you can understand my english... :lol:
Thank you!

It's a carbureted application - no EFI yet, and I'm taking the MAP reading directly from the intake manifold vaccum ( base of throttle plate ).

MAP hose is new. When I fire up the MSII, it shows around 84 from the natural air ( I'm at 4700' elevation ). There's a "chance" the hose isn't fitting tightly inside the MSII, but the 84 looks pretty reasonable for this altitude.

It's a fairly extreme mechanical roller cam:

Duration adv int/exh (0.050 int/exh): 285/292 (254/260)
Gross lift int/exh: 0.597/0.578
Lobe Separation: 106
Cam advance/retard: -4 degrees

Thanks again!
RNash
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by RNash »

Nice 'stang. I squirted a 351W in a 69 coupe.

As to the table generator, just use 100 kpa for WOT. It will be close enough to get you a usable table.

The 84kpa at your altitude may be ok but I would be more concerned about the 78kpa at idle. I would think even with your cam, you should get below 50. My engine is mild but I idle no load at around 30kpa. Are you using true manifold vacuum or a carb port? Check the vacuum source with a gauge. Also check the MS by applying a different vacuum source to your map hose to see if it is reading properly.

Roger
fordfanboi
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by fordfanboi »

RNash wrote:Nice 'stang. I squirted a 351W in a 69 coupe.

As to the table generator, just use 100 kpa for WOT. It will be close enough to get you a usable table.

The 84kpa at your altitude may be ok but I would be more concerned about the 78kpa at idle. I would think even with your cam, you should get below 50. My engine is mild but I idle no load at around 30kpa. Are you using true manifold vacuum or a carb port? Check the vacuum source with a gauge. Also check the MS by applying a different vacuum source to your map hose to see if it is reading properly.

Roger
DOH - I think I know why I didn't think it was unusual! I was thinking PSI - not KPA! That's why seeing a small change in reading didn't ring a bell since I've always used a vaccum gauge based on PSI! You're right - there MUST be something up with my connection - or maybe I screwed up the MS II datalogging by trying to switch it to PSI somewhere.

Thanks!