dual plenum build

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

HADLEY
MS/Extra Newbie

dual plenum build

Post by HADLEY »

i am fairly new to it all but i have some questions on a manifold build. i don't have a engine or anything like that, most of this comes from "what if" questions i have. maybe it will answer other people's questions.

i was wondering if i was to build a manifold with two separate plenums(each plenum for a single cylinder head on a V8) both containing a throttle body and four intake runners, what conflicts would i run it to?

would i need a MAP sensor for both plenums?

Would i need a TPS for both throttle bodies?

is there an advantage to having two plenums and/or throttle bodies?

i have read that having a real large throttle body makes drive-ability poor due to the quick change off air flow, would dividing the large throttle body into two smaller throttle bodies help with this problem.

could there be a problem with the placing of the throttle body on the plenum? (IE: would it be better for the throttle body to be place in a centralized part of the plenum or could it be at the end)

i don't really need direct answers to my questions, since they are mostly "what if" questions. a link that that goes more in-depth into the design of efi manifolds would be more helpful since it is more of a learning situation than a direct application.

thanks in advance to replies
Uncle Bob
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Uncle Bob »

as far as advantages to two seperate intakes, no there is no advantages. Some do it for the novelty factor.

The only reason I could think of for doing it that way would be on a twin turbo V8 or V6 engine. This would allow you to run two different boost levels for each bank, or even run two different turbo's, but thats playing with fire on detonation issues....although I do like the idea of it. You'd most likely need two seperate MS's for that situation though, because your fuel requirements would be completely different between the two banks.

But I'd rather design a multistaged setup if the real goal was to have early boost and high peak HP....much better way to go about it IMO
Ryan
ryan.langford@comcast.net

Two turbo'd bikes and counting
"Life begins at 10psi"
HADLEY
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by HADLEY »

yeah, logically i didn't think two plenum would be to much advantage. my idea was purely for looks.

i never though of that turbo idea. sounds smart.

you should run that cylinder deactavation(sp) where they kill off some of the cylinders to get better fuel consumption. that way you have a high compression four banger to spin a small turbo and cruise around town, but then have it kick in the other 4 cylinders to have a kick ass v8 with a bigger turbo hanging on the back 4 cylinders. you would have two different set ups in one engine.

i don't know how that cylinder deactavation works though, so i am sure there would be some(many) kind of snag that one would run into