Are The GM Stepper IAC's "Polarized"?

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

69 1/2 Six Pack Bee
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Are The GM Stepper IAC's "Polarized"?

Post by 69 1/2 Six Pack Bee »

Using MS-I. V2.2 w/ daughtercard and GM IAC through the relay board, does it matter which of the two wires of each coil connect to on the terminal strip? I have S1.2.3.4 dedicated for the IAC and jumpered to the corresponding DB37 pinouts in the MS. I checked the continuity of my IAC and coil A is the left 2 pins and B are the right two pins. This is a certainty. But my question is does it make a difference which way I hook up the two coil wires (can they be reversed) to the respective terminal connections as long as they are on the correct one, i.e. S1 & S2.... :?:

Thanx,
Bud
darkstarmedia
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by darkstarmedia »

Yes, it does matter.

http://www.megasquirt.info/ms2/IAC.htm

half way down.

Inline Idle Air Control Valve Housings now availible through Jerry at DIYAutoTune.com
69 1/2 Six Pack Bee
Experienced MS/Extra'er

I've read that excerpt at least 20 times and it kind of points to the polarization aspect yet it never really says affirmativly that this is the case. It does say....
switch the wires around on either of the coil windings to see if it helps (i.e., trade the connections of the two blue wires). If it doesn't help, switch those wires back and try switching the other winding's green wires.
So, given that, I will try it to see what happens.
Thanx,...Bud
darkstarmedia
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by darkstarmedia »

If the wires are not correct the stepper motor will not be damaged, it just won't work right.

Inline Idle Air Control Valve Housings now availible through Jerry at DIYAutoTune.com
69 1/2 Six Pack Bee
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Got it.
Thanx, Richard!