MS - Honda Blackbird

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

birdrush
MS/Extra Newbie

MS - Honda Blackbird

Post by birdrush »

Hi,

I'm in the beginning stages of converting my Carb Honda Blackbird engine to Megasquirt, i have fitted throttle bodies and have the standard honda ignition module which takes its readings from the tps & crank sensor to fire the coils, i want to retain this set up as its not easy to add a toothed pick up to the engine as there are no rotating items outside the crankcase.

Can i drive the MS unit ( i plan to get a V3 board kit with MSII) from the standard honda module? is it just a case of connecting the MS to the tacho output?

The Honda toothed wheel is a 9-3 pic at :

Has a pick up fitted into the cover plate.

Will this toothed wheel work OK with the ignition drivers in MS or will i be best using the honda ignition module?

Regards

Ash.
nobbi1977
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by nobbi1977 »

Would that wheel not bolt off and a nice 36-1 or 60-2 bolt on using the same sensor.

Microsquirt (subject to release) should do fuel and injection then
birdrush
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by birdrush »

nobbi1977 wrote:Would that wheel not bolt off and a nice 36-1 or 60-2 bolt on using the same sensor.

Microsquirt (subject to release) should do fuel and injection then
I guess so, but the wheel is quite small, firstly can you get a trigger wheel that small and secondly would the existing sensor be sensitive enough?

What is Microsquirt?

Ash.
78Spit1500Fed
MS/Extra Guru

Post by 78Spit1500Fed »

birdrush wrote:I guess so, but the wheel is quite small, firstly can you get a trigger wheel that small and secondly would the existing sensor be sensitive enough?
I don't think there's a trigger wheel that size that's 36-1... you would have to have one fabricated. The existing sensor is sensitive enough for the existing wheel, there's no reason to think it wouldn't do the job with more triggers.
birdrush wrote:What is Microsquirt?

Ash.
Microsquirt is an upcoming product new to the MS line which houses an MSII and related circuitry in a sealed case with an automotive-grade ampseal connector for applications such as your own.

Is your existing ignition system wasted spark or coil-on-plug, or distributed in some way? If it's wasted spark, you will be able to trigger MS from the coil, as the coil will fire both plugs simultaneously. If it's coil on plug, you'll need a way to combine the two signals into one. If it's distributed, there would only be one coil, so you can trigger from there.

-Brian
birdrush
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by birdrush »

78Spit1500Fed wrote:
I don't think there's a trigger wheel that size that's 36-1... you would have to have one fabricated. The existing sensor is sensitive enough for the existing wheel, there's no reason to think it wouldn't do the job with more triggers.

Microsquirt is an upcoming product new to the MS line which houses an MSII and related circuitry in a sealed case with an automotive-grade ampseal connector for applications such as your own.

Is your existing ignition system wasted spark or coil-on-plug, or distributed in some way? If it's wasted spark, you will be able to trigger MS from the coil, as the coil will fire both plugs simultaneously. If it's coil on plug, you'll need a way to combine the two signals into one. If it's distributed, there would only be one coil, so you can trigger from there.

-Brian
I'll have a nose about and look into trigger wheels of this size, where can i find out about microsquirt?

I Believe the set up is wasted spark, i have 2 coils, one running a pair of plugs, will the MS require triggering from both coils or just 1? presumably then i couls use the standared honda ignition box and trigger wheel then take the pulse from the coil to trigger the MS ecu to run the fueling, is this correct?

Cheers

Ash.
keithmac
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by keithmac »

Yeh you can do it that way, if you use a coil -ve from the wasted spark as a trigger your rpm will be twice as fast (2 events per 720 degrees), you can get around this by doubling the number of cilinders in the constants page I believe.
Squirted VW GTI 16vG60 mk2
birdrush
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by birdrush »

keithmac wrote:Yeh you can do it that way, if you use a coil -ve from the wasted spark as a trigger your rpm will be twice as fast (2 events per 720 degrees), you can get around this by doubling the number of cilinders in the constants page I believe.
Sounds like the easiest way to start with then i can look at special trigger wheels later on and run the ignition directly from the MS ECU, when its all up & running.

Thanks

Ash