Ignition RPM Dropout

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Rex4Life
MS/Extra Newbie

Ignition RPM Dropout

Post by Rex4Life »

I'm seeing occasional rpm dropouts with an igniton loss at the same time. Of course there is a momentary studder when this occurs. Happens maybe a few times every 5 minutes and seems to occur mostly at cruise. The tach also sees the dropout. Never seems to happen at lower rpms.

Here's what the dropout looks like (notice this log has two in the image):

I'm using the stock series 4 RX-7 ignition setup with leading and trailing.

Maybe the pots for the vr circuit could use adjusting....you guys got any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Scott
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE Turbo
MS-I v3.0 | MSNSE Version 029j1 | MT 2.25
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

yeah, to me that looks like there could be some noise and the wheel decoder is losing sync. I'd say adjust the POTs and/or check the shielding on the VR sensor wires.
Rex4Life
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Rex4Life »

muythaibxr wrote:yeah, to me that looks like there could be some noise and the wheel decoder is losing sync. I'd say adjust the POTs and/or check the shielding on the VR sensor wires.
Funny thing this morning. I started looking back at my logs to see when this first came about and tie it to either a hw/sw change. Looks like right after I put the shielded wires on both of the CAS signals--the spikes started. The wire I used were 2 conductor shielded but real thin 24 awg. These are just wires from the stock ECU connector to the boards.

I didn't think the size of the wires was that important--what do you think?

Also, I'm grounding the shields to the inside of the MS/ECU case--that should be OK right?
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE Turbo
MS-I v3.0 | MSNSE Version 029j1 | MT 2.25