More ignition issues, check my logic

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Jamesl
Experienced MS/Extra'er

More ignition issues, check my logic

Post by Jamesl »

I think I have a bad U7 -- should I also replace the FETs at the same time?

I'm still having ignition problems and did some diagnostic testing on the v2.2 MS unit. On the stim, the stim's "inj1" and "inj2" LEDs flash normally for about the first 30 seconds and then stop dead for no apparent reason. If I unplug the stim, wait a minute and plug it back in, they will flash, but the time before they stop gets shorter the quicker I replug in the stim.

I then did the diagnostic test recommended in the MegaManual for the injection system. I get flickering light on the LED tester at the CPU and on pins 2 & 4 of U7. However, I get nothing on pins 7 or 5. No response on the LED tester on either of the FETs, either.

This does indicate U7 is toast, correct? Is it likely that one or both of the FETs would be gone, also?
"87 Mr2
'96 Rav4
'65 Econoline Pickup
'75 Super Beetle
All Turbo, all the time
Why? Because I can... :D
Jamesl
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Jamesl »

Thanks. I couldn't find the parts locally so ordered them from DigiKey. Given the $5 handling fee for purchases under $25, it only makes sense to go ahead and get the FETs. In fact, I doubled up on my order just in case this ever happens again.....
"87 Mr2
'96 Rav4
'65 Econoline Pickup
'75 Super Beetle
All Turbo, all the time
Why? Because I can... :D