Ford 351 Cleveland Question

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Deaninkc
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Ford 351 Cleveland Question

Post by Deaninkc »

My next project is going to be MS'n my Pantera, which has a 351 Cleveland. There does not seem to be any EFI manifolds for the 351C so I'm looking at modifying a 4bbl manifold. I notice that most people are using a single plane manifold so I assume this is the way to go. Anyone know of a manifold with injector bungs already there for a 351C? I've found them for 351W, and small/large block Fords and Chevys but no 351C. I also remember a 1000cfm throttle body for $75 but lost the link. Any one remember these and have experiance with them? I have the option of closed chambered heads and 11:1 CR or open with 8.8:1CR (more with custom pistons). With injection and ignition control do you think I can run 11:1 CR on premium unleaded pump gas?
65looter
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 65looter »

the TB @$75 might be the one from http://www.auto-nomics.com
Ford 342 stroker | 4inj.TBI
MS2/Extra beta RC3 2.1.0 20090611
PSIG
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by PSIG »

Most use single-plane manifolds because they are high rpm racing engines or because it's easier to use a straight fuel rail with one. Dual-plane manifolds are still tuned better for the street but require a formed or flexible fuel rail.

11:1 will work with pump gas (I run 10.7 in my 351) if your cam is a little hotter. The low effective cylinder pressure is what you're looking for at low rpm's to avoid det. It's not as much a concern at higher rpm's.

Personally, I'd run the open-chamber heads at 8.8:1 and boost it :D Seriously :twisted:
DParsley
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by DParsley »

I'm very close to starting up my 335 series engine myself and I faced the same hurdles you have. I chose the Performer 400 for my application(78 Bronco) for the better bottom end while off-roading. My engine will never see more than 5K rpm's so that added to my decision. Enclosed is a pic of the manifold after getting the bungs TIG'd in place.

I do think the single plane would be much easier than my dual plane version. I've got all the injectors installed level accross the top and the bungs installed to two levels corresponding with the different planes of the manifold. This greatly eased the selection of the fuel rails.

D.[/img]
DParsley
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by DParsley »

And here is the manifold with TB adapter plate in place with 97 5.4l Ford throttle body installed.

D.
Deaninkc
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Deaninkc »

Personally, I'd run the open-chamber heads at 8.8:1 and boost it Seriously
The thought has crossed my mind. I'm going to do some club racing events with it and I'm not sure I want to add a turbo to a car that already has oversteer issues. I've got a Performer manifold on it now, but I have seen some single planes on ebay. Again if I could find a manifold that I did not have to have modified I'd be a bit happier. I'm not sure that I have the clearance to use a 5.4 TB, I'll probably go with something like the auto-nomics or strip out an old Holley.
PSIG
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by PSIG »

DParsley wrote:...Enclosed is a pic of the manifold after getting the bungs TIG'd in place. ...
Nice workImage
workingdog
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by workingdog »

Could you explain the why's and how's of using the late model throttle body? I assume it lends itself much better to cold air intake and boosting.

Peter
Peter Young
'68 F250 4x4 Highboy
390 V8 currently carbureated - going EFI as soon as I can assemble the right parts.
DParsley
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by DParsley »

I tried several different combinations for the TB. Converted Holley carb(difficulty attaching TPS) upper plenum from a 460EFI(too tall to shut hood), and a TB from 86'ish Mustang(too small). Finally while scrounging around the salvage yard, I noticed the very late models had an adapter just like what I was looking for. It's a pretty straight forward procedure of creating an adapter plate to mate the system to a 4 barrel intake. Benefits are the included TPS mount, IAC sytem ready to go, and low-profile.

D.