Changing from K-jetronic to MS and throttle bodies.

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

sonett
MS/Extra Newbie

Changing from K-jetronic to MS and throttle bodies.

Post by sonett »

I have tried a search but it didn't come up with any answers........i am changing my Saab 99 from Bosch K-jet to MS with throttle bodies, i have more or less sussed out the ignition side, thanks to help from the forum on the ignition part of the site, but while i was thinking about the fuel side, i realised the K-jet uses an accumulator to maintain pressure and smooth out pulsing, will i still need this when i change over to the new system, my gut feeling is that i will not need it, because i don't think other similar systems use an accumulator, but i thought you guys would now better :) .
78Spit1500Fed
MS/Extra Guru

Post by 78Spit1500Fed »

Taking a MAP signal directly from your intake is probably better, assuming that accumulator does more than just store vacuum.

Most accumulators have outputs to all sorts of vacuum-operated mechanisms within the car, and a leak at any one of those ports (or their downstream systems) will cause inconsistency in your MAP reading.

If your accumulator is truly just for storing and smothing the MAP signal, and there are no outputs to any other systems, then you can probably leave it in place.

-Brian
R2.0
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by R2.0 »

I think he means fuel pressure accumulator. These were used on CIS systems to maintain pressure during shutdown and eliminate hot start problems.
sonett
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by sonett »

Sorry 78Spit1500Fed, maybe i should have been more specific, R2.0 is correct it is an accumulator in the fuel line between the in-tank fuel pump and metering distributor.
lapuwali
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by lapuwali »

No, you won't need it. With CIS, you really only need it if you're not willing to turn on the key and wait a second or two for the fuel pump to build pressure.

There's a shop called Blitz Racing that makes bungs for using EFI injectors in a K-Jet manifold, btw.
'71 Porsche 914 2.2
'69 VW Squareback
'69 FIAT 124 Sport Coupe