Mid-RPM misfire

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

DieselSJ
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Mid-RPM misfire

Post by DieselSJ »

MS II, V3 board. Car isn't here, so I can't confirm version of the code. The car is about 130 miles from here and it will be a couple weeks before I can get up there to do any data logging.

We are having a misfire from about 1500-2300 rpm. We have a nice smooth idle at about 800 rpm, and if we open the throttle slowly it is great until about 1500 rpm where it starts to miss and stays rough until about 2300 rpm then it smooths out. It is also not load dependent - we get it at no load and under heavy load.

My VE table is very close - less than 5% EGO correction in the affected bins. I'm tuning with a wide band and have tried AFRs from as lean as 15:1 to as rich as 13:1 in those bins, so I think I have eliminated mixture as the problem. I have also tried advancing and retarding the timing about 10 degrees with no affect on the misfire.

We are driving a MSD 6 off the coil driver circuit. We tried changing the MSD box and the coil and still have the problem. System is triggered by the pickup in a MSD distributor (VR sensor).

We have searched for vacuum leaks and have not detected any.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 6.5L Turbo Diesel
bleoh
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by bleoh »

Maybe try different predictor algarithms.
MS2 v3.0 MT2.25 controlling 6 high z injectors and ignition
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

What are you using for an ignition/RPM input to trigger the squirt. - off the ignition coil (assuming this is not a diesel), 36-1, pins in the crank with a VR...? All of these methods have different things to look for. We also need the code version to help. All the codes have ways to "predict" when to expect the next rpm trigger. They all treat this a little different.

AW
krisr
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Mid-RPM misfire

Post by krisr »

DieselSJ wrote:We are driving a MSD 6 off the coil driver circuit. We tried changing the MSD box and the coil and still have the problem. System is triggered by the pickup in a MSD distributor (VR sensor).
I'm having pretty much the exact same problem except my RPM misfire is very intermitten. I'd be very curious to know if you get it sorted out and vice versa as we seem to be running identical setups.

What code version is yours as mine is 2.35 and i'm using Last Interval predictor.

My thread is here http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=17727
krisr
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by krisr »

As I pointed out in my thread, I set the normal running pulse tol to 17% and it seemed to be ok on a relatively short drive (about 10km round trip). Might help your case?
Sydney, Australia
1971 Holden Monaro HQ
MS3X Sequentially fuelled 400 Pontiac