Ignition

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Timmerklits
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Ignition

Post by Timmerklits »

Hello,

I am assembling my first megasquirt II, (V3 main board, relay board,).

I am going to use it on my alfa romeo 75 3.0 v6, and test it on my alfa 75 1.8.

But I am not sure what ignition I must use.
Is it better to use the direct coil control, or must I use the transistor ignition module that is on the original EFI, or something else.

The direct coil control is the easiest way, but is it sufficient enough?

Please advise me, I have now assembled almost everything and also tested, the output circuit is next to assemble.

Thanks Nick
Timmerklits
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Help with ignition selection

Post by Timmerklits »

I am using a hall sensor wich is in the distribitor.

I just don't understand, if you can do direct coil ignition with the megasquirt 2, why are there the other options.

So there must be a reason I think, maybe because its safer to use an ignition module so that the megasquirt must not handle high current.

But on the other hand it is made for handling high current.

Please advise me.

Nick
bleoh
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by bleoh »

It's just another option. My old Jeep ignition module did not have a great reputation for being robust, worked on lower voltage and limited coil output and would not allow for control of timing. I could have purchased a HEI module, etc... but saved money and wiring by using MS.

Now if you already have an expensive and/or quality system (MSD, stock etc..) that will do the job then don't use the MS to drive the coil directy.

Brian.
MS2 v3.0 MT2.25 controlling 6 high z injectors and ignition
Timmerklits
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Timmerklits »

Thanks, I know enough now.

I hope to complete it within a week.

I'l let you know how it works.

greets
Nick
gofastant
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by gofastant »

bleoh wrote:It's just another option. My old Jeep ignition module did not have a great reputation for being robust, worked on lower voltage and limited coil output and would not allow for control of timing. I could have purchased a HEI module, etc... but saved money and wiring by using MS.

Now if you already have an expensive and/or quality system (MSD, stock etc..) that will do the job then don't use the MS to drive the coil directy.

Brian.
I have MS2 V3.0 and...
I just went ahead and bought the whole EDIS system. The price difference wasn't huge compared to just buying the wheel and VR sensor. Now that I have everything should just go ahead and use it? Seems like it should be fairly reliable. I'd really like to know what the pros and cons are for each option. I'm getting pretty tired of putting this thing together and just want to get it done so I can go outside.
bleoh
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by bleoh »

Nick and I are using a distributor with a sensor in them. We both had to decide what ignition module to use to drive the coil.

EDIS is a whole other ballgame. From what little I know about it is the crank wheel and VR sensor provides a signal to MS. MS then provides a signal to the EDIS module that fires the coil packs. You probably get a more solid timing (it is directly on the crank and with a distributor you can have "slop" between the crank and the cam gear and the distributor gear). I would also guess that the spark is stronger at higher rpm because you have multiple coils.

Post a new thread with your particular info on your engine and how it is going to be used and maybe some folks who know more about EDIS then I do will help you dedide.
MS2 v3.0 MT2.25 controlling 6 high z injectors and ignition