ITB size for a 2.0L 4 cyl engine

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

shauer
Experienced MS/Extra'er

ITB size for a 2.0L 4 cyl engine

Post by shauer »

I'm trying to replace a set of Weber 40 DCOE carbs with DCOE replacement ITBs. I've been waiting 5 weeks for an order with 40mm ITBs and was just informed that it will be another 6 weeks to get them. At this point I don't think they really know if/when they will be made so I'm looking at other options.

I've read everything I can find on ITB size and I thought 40mm would be correct for my engine (see below for specs) :RTFM:

My question to anyone who is running ITBs is would 45mm ITBs be too big? Any guess on how much off-idle response I would be losing between 40mm and 45mm throttles? The intended use for this car is spirited daily driving, not racing or autox.

Engine:
- BMW M10 (2.0L 4 cyl inline, single overhead cam)
- 290 degree cam
- header with stock exhaust
- Redline 6500
- Expected HP 150-160

Thanks!
Steve Hauer
http://www.77e21.info
1977 BMW 320i with MAF, COP, IAC, Sequential fuel and spark, MS3 knock sensing
MS3 / MS3X / V3 mainboard, MS3 V1.5 a4
Mueller
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Mueller »

I'm building a set of 45mm ITB's right now for a motor with very similar specs to yours http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=6627&start=40....one good thing about going too big is that it's easier to fix than too small :) (cam on the throttle linkage or throttle stop)
suberimakuri
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by suberimakuri »

40mm throttles are meant to do up to about 250hp

check out toyota 4AGE 20v engines. This is what I used on my old 2lt 3SGE, and on current 4AGE 1.6
You can get 40mm and 44mm butterfly sizes.
They also have a variable TPS, so perfect for MS.

Relatively easy to mount on a standard webber sidedraft manifold.
greggearhead
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by greggearhead »

If you are doing the M10 engine, Ken Danielson had the idea to use Alfa Spica throttle bodies on the lower 77-79 intake manifold, making a simple flat adapter plate. Looks fairly straightforward. I actually have some Spica throttle bodies, they are 40mm and bore centres basically line right up.
Bill Shurvinton
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Bill Shurvinton »

Based on the cross section of all the people I know running ITBs (which is the first upgrade to lotus 7 type cars). 40 is ideal for up to 200HP. 45s are a little large, but work fine. Lots of people run them. Your only issues will be sorting out the AE settings as you will get a bit change in airflow for a tiny change in throttle angle. Get a progressive quadrant and all will be fine.
shauer
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by shauer »

Thanks for all the replies. I just received my 45mm bodies last night.

I expect to run into a little trouble tuning the off-idle response but it looks like others have done it so it must be possible...

I'm keeping a close eye on the status of v2.6 code with XTau in the Beta forum as well.

The bodies came with a traditional Weber style center pull linkage. I'm looking into modifying it to use a progressive linkage.

Thanks again for the input.
Steve Hauer
http://www.77e21.info
1977 BMW 320i with MAF, COP, IAC, Sequential fuel and spark, MS3 knock sensing
MS3 / MS3X / V3 mainboard, MS3 V1.5 a4