fuel accumulation in the airbox

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

arnold
Master MS/Extra'er

fuel accumulation in the airbox

Post by arnold »

Hi there

I have an Supercharged Austin Healey Sprite, it is a complete DIY project consisting of an Eaton blower, blowing into a TBI unit which is mounted horizontal. The thottle I removed from the TBI unit and moved it upstream in front of the blower.

I experience some fuel acculumation in the airbox which worries me. I know the TBI was originally made to operate in a vertical airstream, but there is no room fro that in my application.

So what can I do:

1. raise the fuelpressure a bit?

2. reduce the angle a bit (form 90 to 80-85 degrees) hoping that fuel won't rin backwards

3. put another kind of injector in (spray pattern)

4. ??

Anyone

http://kmnet.demon.co.uk/~arnold/
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

Google search reversion. possiblay build a clear plastic air filter top and run the motor with a timing light shooting light thru the glass top. You will see the cloud. It will come and go at certial RPMs.

AW
arnold
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by arnold »

OK, I did nit think of this. Whole new world opens up.... Couldn't it be a bit simpler, I mean the way I made my set up (90 degrees agle)??

Anyone??

Arnold
arnold
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by arnold »

PLease.... :oops:
woh
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by woh »

put some heat where the fuel accumulates.
arnold
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by arnold »

good idea, only I introduce quiet some heat (supercharger).
rs2000
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by rs2000 »

is it possible that one or more of your injectors is either leaking or not atomising the fuel properly (dirty)? these could both cause fuel to accumulate..
arnold
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by arnold »

Yes, that might be true. A while ago I removed te injector form the TBI housing trying to identify it in order to figure out the flowrate (never got that).

Anyway, I pressed the injector back into the housing and secured it again with the small plate. Maybe I didn't do this correct, is a special grease or similar necessary?? Are new O rings necessary??

Problem is that I cannot run the car without the airbox on (throttle is upstream), I can only check for leaks when the engine is turned off (and I can let the fuel pump run on for a whil if I want)