great question on spark tables

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

qbngolf
MS/Extra Newbie

great question on spark tables

Post by qbngolf »

ok so my question is pretty basic. when i increase the number in the spark table, does this advance timing or retard it. when ilower the number in the table, the gauge reads that the number reads closer to btdc. so i am actually advancing timing by lowering the number right?

also....... is btdc on the downward stroke of the piston or on the upward stroke? does anybody know?
qbngolf
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by qbngolf »

come on, somebody has got to know.
Careless
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: great question on spark tables

Post by Careless »

qbngolf wrote:also....... is btdc on the downward stroke of the piston or on the upward stroke? does anybody know?
i would imagine the b in btdc stands for "before" top dead center, and a piston only reaches top dead center on the upwards stroke, and starts from tdc on the downwards stroke.

so to be at btdc, youd have to be approaching tdc. or else it would be after top dead center, once leaving that position, correct?

i dunno, but that's what i think
i win the internets
rs2000
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by rs2000 »

Going from memory in the spark VE table a positive number is advanced, and a negative number is retarded. When you adjust the values in megatune in the tuning window it will tell you if you are advancing or retarding the timing, so you should be able to confirm what i have said yourself (or its probably in the manual)
BTDC means before top dead centre, so the piston is rising. TDC is top dead centre, so the piston is stationary and ATDC is after top dead centre, so piston moving down. TDC is specified as being on the firing stroke of a 4 stroke motor.
Having the timing set at x degrees BTDC means it is advanced, having the timing at x degrees ATDC is retarded.
Generally the timing needs to be advanced to account for the speed at which the mixture burns under differnt conditions. This gets the actual bang at the right place, the 'right place' depends on boost, fuel, engine type and tune etc. A dyno tune is the best way as you can see where the power starts to fall off.

andrew
Last edited by rs2000 on Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
redjetta
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by redjetta »

qbngolf wrote:so i am actually advancing timing by lowering the number right?
yes

the number you enter is the number of degrees before top dead centre that the coil fires

because the velocity of the explosion is fairly constant, and the velocity of the piston changes with RPM, the spark has to fire earlier at high RPM than at low RPM, because the piston will be at the top sooner.

edit: i've only worked with natural aspiration so this may not apply to turbos
rs2000
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by rs2000 »

redjetta wrote:
qbngolf wrote:so i am actually advancing timing by lowering the number right?
yes

the number you enter is the number of degrees before top dead centre that the coil fires
isn't it the other way around, higher number in megatune = advanced? Lower (or negative) number = retarded
qbngolf
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by qbngolf »

so why would you want the explosion while the piston is rising? wouldnt that tend to want to break things? its like you have a piston which is coming up and trying to force it back down but it cant go down because the crank isnt at a position to let that happen yeet
qbngolf
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by qbngolf »

[/quote]

isn't it the other way around, higher number in megatune = advanced? Lower (or negative) number = retarded[/quote]

thats what i would think, but the lower the number, the closer it gets to btdc
FoundSoul
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by FoundSoul »

The number in the table is the degrees of advance BTDC. So higher positive numbers=more ignition advance=firing sooner in the cycle.
Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'
Founder DIYAutoTune.com / AMPEFI.com

The DIY EFI Tuners Guide – How to Install, Configure, and Tune EFI!

Killer Products We've Brought to Life:
MS3Pro, MSPNP and MS3Pro PNP
More info on MSPNP Models
MicroSquirt AMP'd!
rs2000
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by rs2000 »

qbngolf wrote:so why would you want the explosion while the piston is rising?
I'm no pro, but heres what i've gathered from what i've read. You want the actual explotion right after TDC. The problem is the burn you get is not instant. There is a delay after the spark before the mixture ignites fully and explodes. The piston is travelling extremely fast so in order to compensate for the 'slow' ignition and burn, we make the spark happen BTDC, when in actual fact the 'explotion' of the fuel, and therfore the pushing force on the piston is happening ATDC..

The exact point at which you want the spark is found on a dyno by slowly increacing the spark advance until either the engine knocks or pings, or the torque output stops increacing. Excess advance can cause detonation knock pinging etc and after a certain point extra advance will just increace heat.
FoundSoul
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by FoundSoul »

rs2000 wrote:
qbngolf wrote:so why would you want the explosion while the piston is rising?
I'm no pro, but heres what i've gathered from what i've read. You want the actual explotion right after TDC. The problem is the burn you get is not instant. There is a delay after the spark before the mixture ignites fully and explodes. The piston is travelling extremely fast so in order to compensate for the 'slow' ignition and burn, we make the spark happen BTDC, when in actual fact the 'explotion' of the fuel, and therfore the pushing force on the piston is happening ATDC..

The exact point at which you want the spark is found on a dyno by slowly increacing the spark advance until either the engine knocks or pings, or the torque output stops increacing. Excess advance can cause detonation knock pinging etc and after a certain point extra advance will just increace heat.
That's pretty much right on-- and since different octane fuels burn at different speeds you tune differently for higher octane fuel. Higher octane burns slower... which means you need more ignition advance to get the BOOM exactly when you want it. Lower octane fuel burns faster, so you need to retard the ignition some if you're running it or you'll get detonation as the 'boom' happens too soon and tries to send the rising piston back down before it's time....

Without advance though, if you tried to light it off right at TDC, the explosion would just be chasing the piston down the cylinder, rather than pushing it. It's all about........ timing. ;)
Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'
Founder DIYAutoTune.com / AMPEFI.com

The DIY EFI Tuners Guide – How to Install, Configure, and Tune EFI!

Killer Products We've Brought to Life:
MS3Pro, MSPNP and MS3Pro PNP
More info on MSPNP Models
MicroSquirt AMP'd!
qbngolf
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by qbngolf »

good info :D
redjetta
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by redjetta »

rs2000 wrote:isn't it the other way around, higher number in megatune = advanced? Lower (or negative) number = retarded
yes, this is true. my bad :)

yes, the explosion has to occur before tdc, because the piston is moving so fast. if the explosion happened at tdc, the piston would be far away by the time the explosion got to it, and there would be no power.

if the explosion happens too soon, however, the piston will be before tdc when the explosion reaches the piston dish, and the piston will be pushing up on the explosion. this pressure is transferred to the cylinder head and creates knock, pinging, whatever you want to call it. higher octane fuel burns slower than lower octane fuel, allowing the computer to put in more fuel before there is any knock, producing more power.

edit: lol the same thing was said two posts ago :D
krisr
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by krisr »

Howstuffworks (http://auto.howstuffworks.com/ignition-system.htm) has a brilliant write up explaining ignition advance which i'm suprised noone referred.
Sydney, Australia
1971 Holden Monaro HQ
MS3X Sequentially fuelled 400 Pontiac
qbngolf
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by qbngolf »

now to this question.

why is it when tuning the spark table in megatune in the realtime editor, when you hit shift then up, in parenthises, it says retarded when you are increasing the number? and advanced when you decrease the number
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

qbngolf wrote:now to this question.

why is it when tuning the spark table in megatune in the realtime editor, when you hit shift then up, in parenthises, it says retarded when you are increasing the number? and advanced when you decrease the number
What code version is this with? - this is a very simple error in the .ini file that needs fixing.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
redjetta
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by redjetta »

I see... If you press up, it says ADVANCED, if you press down, it says RETARDED. it's telling you the last move you made. 2.25 final
qbngolf
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by qbngolf »

i have a ms1 processor with a v3 board running msns-e i believe the code is 029s
redjetta
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by redjetta »

which version of MegaTune?
qbngolf
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by qbngolf »

version 3 with a ms1 processor