Injector impedance and open time

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ochizon
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Injector impedance and open time

Post by ochizon »

I have a set of 550cc high impedance injectors from RC engineering. I had set the open time to 1.0ms. I have been having quite a rough time trying to get my accel settings right. I decided to call RC and ask about the open time for these injectors (dont ask why I waited until after I tuned and ran in to problems to call :oops: ) and they say that for high impedance injectors the recommend an open time of 1.2 to 1.4 ms, as a lower open time would make the injectors more "laggy" (a term I would say characterizes my injectors aptly).

My question is does this seem in line with the general wisdom on the subject? and in terms of open time, a range of 1.2-1.4 is pretty wide... should I start at 1.3 and tweak from there????
78Spit1500Fed
MS/Extra Guru

Post by 78Spit1500Fed »

1.4 ms does seem like a long open time; if you trust that RC Engineering is well versed in injector technology and has indeed measured this particular variable, then set it to what they reccommend.

-Brian
ochizon
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ochizon »

78Spit1500Fed wrote: if you trust that RC Engineering is well versed in injector technology

-Brian
That I dont know... I just figured since they built it would be a good place to start.

Anyway, in general, what are the characteristics of a longer open time? Shorter?

I ask because I assume a wrong open time cannot simply be compensated for by tuning, there are performace issues that can only be addressed by finding the correct open time... but what exactly are they???