Dual Optical CAS Wheel and my options

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

BlackHat
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Dual Optical CAS Wheel and my options

Post by BlackHat »

I've been trying to dig all the info I could on this and came up with enough that I'm hoping to sound semi-intelligent about the whole thing. I have a 1989 Nissan 240sx with a KA24E engine. It runs a 360-degree slit CAS wheel with 4 inner slits (one for each cylinder, cylinder one being larger than the others).

I've been trying to understand what wavelengths the MSII will accept. From my digging I take it will not decode 360 degree signal. Normal optical wavelengths the MSII will accept are a slot for each cylinder with a reset slot? While I know I can just fabricate a Crank Sensor (36-1 VR type or any of the others), I'm curious as to what the MSII can do with the stock CAS wheel, if anything.

So my questions are:

1) Will the MSII only accept a wavelength with 1 wave per cylinder?

2) Is it for certain that the new Router coming out in several months will have support for a CAS Wheel of this resolution (and be able to decode it)? I've heard rumors that it's supposed to but god help me I can't find anywhere that actually says that's on a todo list or planned.

Thank you for your patience with a noob on ignition systems.
Karl

Post by Karl »

I am certainly not an expert. I just got my car running and I'm trying to tune it. That said, why megasquirt II? Have you looked into Mega squirt and spark? I have an eclipse and I'm running a dual wheel. I have a four slot optical sensor on the cam and I believe a one slot on there too; maybe a two slot deal. Anyway, I am pretty sure MSnS-e will do what you want and it's cheaper.

karl

I
BlackHat
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by BlackHat »

Well, to be honest I have no clue what the differences are between MSII and MSnS-e... Where do I go to find out about MSnS-e? I was thinking it was just a MS1 with something added.
dieselgeek
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by dieselgeek »

I did the exact same distributor on a JDM SR20 motor. Well, the same sensor.

It's simple with MSnS-Extra on an MS-I chip. You don't even need the "wheel decoder" -

you use the INNER (4-tooth) ring, add a 12v pullup circuit with 1k resistor, and run this to your tach signal. Config MS for a 4-cylinder, obvoiusly.

Then, you must figure out how to trigger the stock coilpack, HOWEVER I recommend using something like an MSD-6a box and coil, because you can use the "FIDLE" output on the megasquirt attached to the white (points pickup) wire on an MSD. THen you are driving. This is a really reliable, simple recipe using the low-res sensor in your distributor, and I can put you in touch with the guy who drives it 80 miles daily, has been for months!

Let me know if you have further questions,

-scott
Squirted: it's easier to list the ones I haven't squirted. I need to do more motorcycle engines!