Runnung but not strong enough

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

4x4 ext
MS/Extra Newbie

Runnung but not strong enough

Post by 4x4 ext »

MS II 2.25 / 717. v 3.0. Ive been running my F350 , 351 windsor for about 4 months now. My fuel map is close enough to being done that Im more than happy. My timing map is causing me problems. Im running the TFI circuit. I know everything is working because I can change my values and notice a difference. My engine is pretty well built. Im running 9.7:1, with Winsor heads, cam is 228/232 540/555 roller. With my stock computer I had more pulling power at the bottom end, now its gone. I know it has to be timing because its getting better with every test. I used the generator to do a rough map. Then refered to the seat of pants method. ... I HAVE NO SEAT LEFT IN MY PANTS...... The system work , there is no question of that. I need help getting the timing worked out. I have a 7000lbs crew cab 4x4 with a manual. I can make it buck, lurch, ping, stall, and sometimes but not often make it pull hard, but not often. I need to get my torque back but how would I build a map for that. Im thinking I need my timing to climb sooner from Idle.... Any Advice????
rs2000
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by rs2000 »

I had a look at your spark table and it looks quite conservative. I would suggest going here
http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=99 ... c&start=10
and downloading the excel spreadsheet that Skiericski made up from lance's reccomendations. Fill it in for your engine and it will give you a rough advance table. I did it for your engine and compared it to the table you are using, and yours runs a lot less advance.

As always when tuning advance keep an eye (or ear!) out for knock, as the initial table is only a guide. The other option is to find the stock spark table for your engine.. From what i can see though it just looks like not enough advance, and i'd guess thats where your torques gone. Either way it will only take 5 mins to try!!

hope this helps
andrew
4x4 ext
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 4x4 ext »

I tried the setup table but it doesnt compensat for load. Engine runs fine until ui climb a hill or pull my trailer. Before it was a similar problem but the factory computer would alow me to gain RPM and pull out ahead. MS is doing better in all areas except under load. I ran the map straight off the excell program with better results across the board other than high load. Engine wants to ping or fall on its face. I also was wondering if anyone knew where I could find Fords original maps to try plugging it in....
Maddog6961
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Maddog6961 »

If you are pinging, retard your timing at WOT. What is your max advance at WOT? What AFR are you aiming for at WOT?
George Carstens
1984 BMW 533i turbo
MS II Extra Beta
http://www.wreckracing.com
4x4 ext
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 4x4 ext »

im set at 28 deg wot. at 3000 rpm. my fuel is a little on the rich side. At 100 % load my ti ming is 6 10 14 18 22 24 28 28 28 28
rpm bins 500/800/1200/1600/2000/2400/3000
Maddog6961
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Maddog6961 »

I would check out your fuel first. You want to run in the 13 range for your AFR. If you run too rich, you will loose power. Your AFR will affect the results that you get from changing your timing.
George Carstens
1984 BMW 533i turbo
MS II Extra Beta
http://www.wreckracing.com