MS-II ignition on Jeep I6 4.0l, how to get a trigger???

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Kalus
MS/Extra Newbie

MS-II ignition on Jeep I6 4.0l, how to get a trigger???

Post by Kalus »

I have an MS-II V3 ready to go into my Jeep 4.0l but do not know how to get a reliable trigger. The stock setup uses a camshaft position sensor for injector timing, which is in the distributor and comprises a hall effect sensor and a half wheel, as shown below....

and a crankshaft position sensor comprising of another hall effect sensor with an internal magnet to pick up 3 sets of 4 notches on the starter gear (120 deg apart) as shown below.....

Is it possible to use either of these to trigger the MS-II??????
Kalus
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Kalus »

Am I better off forgetting about the crank trigger and making a new vaned disc for the distributor???
If so, how wide should the vanes etc be, and at what position????

Cheers
Kyne
bleoh
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by bleoh »

Kalus wrote:Am I better off forgetting about the crank trigger and making a new vaned disc for the distributor???
If so, how wide should the vanes etc be, and at what position????

Cheers
Kyne
I would think the vanes would be six openings spaced evenly and just as wide as the non open sections. Someone told me the 300cid ford six has such a vane for the distributer, but I have not had a chance to verify this.

Another option would be to use the duraspark distributer from a 4.2L AMC engine. It fits right in the 4.0 block. The 4.2 uses a VR sensor and has a vane for each spark plug. Here is a picture of them side by side:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bleoh/det ... pg&.src=ph
MS2 v3.0 MT2.25 controlling 6 high z injectors and ignition
Kalus
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Kalus »

I wish I'd known about that before :) There are a million 258ci distributors on ebay.
Thanks for the info.
Cheers
Kyne

edit: and yes, I just realised that it doesn't matter about position of the vanes as long as they are evenly spaced :)
bleoh
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by bleoh »

Glad to help. Forgot to mention, since the duraspark distributor is a Ford item you can use the Large cap and rotor used by Ford in their TFI ignitions. This gives you the post type connections (you can use the 4.0 wires) on the cap that are spread out further to avoid cross firing. It also gives you the nice wide rotor "spade" for better spark when you have computer controlled spark. What you need is the cap adapter base, cap and rotor from a 1986 F150 with the 300cid six.
MS2 v3.0 MT2.25 controlling 6 high z injectors and ignition