hardware mods in order to use MSnS-E ignition on MS1 V3.0

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

914Nick
MS/Extra Newbie

hardware mods in order to use MSnS-E ignition on MS1 V3.0

Post by 914Nick »

Now that i've read enough about ignition control, i think i've read too much and got a bit lost...
I'll be using my Ms setup to run a subaru coil pack on a subaru EJ20 N/A engine (attachement shows module diagram) with the wheel decoder. After reading the MSnS-E recommendations for harware modifications, i still can't figure out what to do exactly:
1- Can i use one cam AND one crank sensor? (not the subaru's original ones 'cuz i know those won't work) if not what are my options? i think the diagram shows a waisted spark setup....
2- What jumbers should i connect?
3- I'm using the VB921 ingnition drivers, where do those mount on the board and how are they connected to the coil pack?
4- are there any other harware mods to do?
5- Do i need to build a dual lm1815 or dual v3 vr conditioner circuit, if so, where do i get info on those?
I guess that's it..........for now :)
sorry for the long post guys...
AndrewG
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by AndrewG »

I think all you have to do is set up the MS for whatever sensor you'll be using(hall or VR) and then go look at MSnSe website under 'ignition selection' or something like that and add the jumper from r26 to IGTBin on the bottom of the board. Then you connect the IGTBout to the ignition hole next to it(comes out on pin36) or you could connect it to whatever output you want I guess.

You won't need the cam sensor unless your engine works differently than I'm thinking. Most people just run a crank sensor.

I also have a picture from my recent problem I posted which shows how I set the jumpers up according to the MSnS-E diagram. Nevermind the blown up stuff, that was from me not making sure it was actually set up right before trying to run spark. Depending on what sensor you use, you might have to remove some of those capacitors and resistors like I did.
~Andrew~

1984 BMW 325e with 'i' cam and springs with custom chip. (I have finally discovered the joys of wideband o2 and hopefully will soon have working spark control.)