Fuel pump relay not working

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

milosch01
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Fuel pump relay not working

Post by milosch01 »

I verified that that signal from the cpu to Q3 is being switched on for 2 seconds like it should be, but the fuel pump relay never energizes. The voltage at the base of Q3 actually stays around 8V no matter what. If I short the collector to ground the relay clicks on, so I guess my boards are wired and cabled correctly. I thought for sure it was a bad transistor. I swapped it with Q5 since I am not using FIDLE currently and it behaved the same. The relays I have are the Omron variety. I wonder if this 2N2222 just can't handle driving this relay? What's silly is that the relay did click on and off in the past due to incorrect configuration.
Dr.Fiero
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Dr.Fiero »

Have you broken the feed line to the relay and measured exactly what current it's drawing?

I'm sure someone else can chime in with what the 2222 can deliver, faster than I can thumb through my ECG book. ;)
milosch01
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by milosch01 »

I wonder if a TIP31 (Available from RadioShack - locally) would work as a replacement. Seems right.
milosch01
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by milosch01 »

By the way, I replaced Q3 with a TIP31 and now the relay works as it should.