Lancer EVO 8 trigger wheels

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

EricR287
MS/Extra Newbie

Lancer EVO 8 trigger wheels

Post by EricR287 »

Hello all,

I'm interested in knowing whether or not these wheels are going to work with the MS with or without code changes... I am using a MS-I v3 with msns-e 29u.

I have no trouble getting a tach signal on my test bench by using the hall sensor and waving the cam trigger wheel in front of it. :P

Crank angle wheel: http://b18c5.org/eric/evo/011_crank_angle_wheel.jpg

Cam angle wheel: http://b18c5.org/eric/evo/012_cam_angle_wheel.jpg

Thanks!
jassem99
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jassem99 »

Last time I checked, the 2G wheel (presumably the same as the EVO4+) could not be decoded by the MS. I don't understand the differences between the 1G and 2G, and when I asked here nobody replied. Any chance of a 2G decoder in the future?

Basil
EricR287
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by EricR287 »

Darn, I really want to figure this out and I have ALL the OEM hardware available to me and a handful of cars to test with. I don't know assembly. I'm staring at it right now and it's just not making sense to me! Hehe :shock:

Need the code from an Autronic unit. 8)

I'm going to keep playing around and see what I can come up with...
Jarmo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Jarmo »

Crank wheel works ok as is. You may have to cut one wing off of the cam sensor to get it to work.
I have evo4 project going and it has same sensors.
EricR287
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by EricR287 »

Jarmo, thanks for replying. I am still waiting to get the shop manual, but do you know what the wings on the cam wheel represent, if anything? Also, does that "divet" (missing V-shape) on the crank trigger represent TDC?

I setup the cam trigger wheel with a power drill on my bench and captured the waves:
http://b18c5.org/eric/evo/cam_sensor_waveform.jpg
aero
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by aero »

EricR287 wrote: Also, does that "divet" (missing V-shape) on the crank trigger represent TDC?

Can't help you with the rest, but the V is for aligning everything when doing a t-belt swap ect. If I remember right it sits at about 1-2 oclock when timing it all.
Jarmo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Jarmo »

"V" is tdc mark and alligns to mark on the aluminium front cover.

If I remember correctly cam sensor should output "0" when iron "wing" is front of the sensor.

Stock ecu uses cam sensor to decode fuel injector sequence as it is fully sequential.

Did you have your scope on AC when you measured that waveform. Cam sensor should be hall and it's output should be about 0-5V.

I can look those sensors and timings more closely when I have rebuilt drivetrain back to working order as we just blew everything from trans to rear diff and we have 10 days to next race and still waiting for the parts :-(

Evo8 workshop manual dvd image is floating on the internet, perhaps fastest way to get it.
EricR287
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by EricR287 »

I used the sound card in my laptop to measure the waveforms.

Here is what I got from the manual: http://b18c5.org/eric/evo/cam_and_crank_waveforms.jpg

My cam wheel: http://b18c5.org/eric/evo/cam_sensor_waveform.jpg

It seems as though I do not have the correct cam wheel since my wheel has an equal distance between the vanes. In the one from the manual the vanes are closer to each other so the neutral time is longer and the vanes appear to be closer in size because their wavelengths don't differ as much.

Even with the manual I still don't understand how I'd go about setting it up. Still, I will keep plugging away...
EricR287
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by EricR287 »

On my test bench, while using a full engine harness and both of the trigger sensors, I am able to get it to light the LEDs for coil A and coil B. I used the settings that the DSM/4g63 uses for triggering. I'm guessing this probably won't work, or will it? I still haven't tested on a car as I'm waiting for VB921's to come in.

It appears the wheels aren't too different between the 1G and EVO.
Jarmo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Jarmo »

Your original coils should have built in power transistor so you don't need vb921's. Original coil have 3 wires: gnd, 12V and signal from ecu. You can drive them directly from led outputs.
EricR287
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by EricR287 »

Oh, sweet! The schematics in the shop manual do show a transistor as part of the coil. I can't wait to give it a try when I get home. Thanks!
EricR287
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by EricR287 »

Now I got the coils to fire the plugs on my bench. Except it resets the megasquirt almost every time it fires, if and only if, I ground the plugs. However, they fire grounded or not. What other areas (ie. resistors) can I make adjustments to?
EricR287
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by EricR287 »

Just an update: The discharge must have been grounding itself out to whatever it can find. It would make the sparking sound, but I couldn't actually see it happening...

Still, I am working on the reset problem and will see what I come up with...
Jarmo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Jarmo »

Try adding resistors to coil control lines. I have not tested what their resistance could be but try different values.

Both sparkplugs ground's at the same coil must be connected together or it will try to spark straight between plug tips. Plugs "ground" don't have to be at the same ground what ms uses.
EricR287
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by EricR287 »

The solution was easy. I was using a small DC power supply for testing on the bench. It worked when I connected to a car battery.

I didn't use any resistors in the coil trigger wires. I wonder if I should.
EricR287
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by EricR287 »

After 2 attempts on 2 separate days to crank the car I'm just not getting something right. It barely stumbles, but doesn't show promising signs of starting. Does anyone know for sure if the Lancer Evo 4+ trigger wheels aren't going to decode correctly with the current code? I thought the 1G CAS was used mainly for mechanical reasons... to keep from having to do some machine work, not the signal it outputs?

Anything else I should try?

What works:
Fuel pump relay and fuel pump.
TPS.
IAT.
CLT.
Coils fire on the bench when I manipulate the 2 hall sensors.
Injectors are getting constant +12v and MS is cycling ground as needed.
Not getting any resets.
Tach is showing in megatune, about 150-250rpms when cranking.

What I've tried:
Cranking dwell time: 3-5ms
Trigger angle: 72-75
Spark output: inverted, using the standard power transistors in the coils. If i set it to non-inverted the coils get very hot pretty quickly.

Generic Wheel decoder: 1, 0, 2, 0, 0, 0... Dual dizzy, 024 decode, falling edge, base teeth 2, 2nd trigger/no missing.

Injectors: Simultaneous. 1, 2 and 4 squirts. 10-35 req_fuel.
EricR287
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by EricR287 »

After soaking up more information about the wheel decoder I think I need to mod the board to read the main trigger as rising rather than falling. The reset trigger should also be rising. I will see how this works...
Perkele
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Lancer EVO 8 trigger wheels

Post by Perkele »

Continuing to an old topic.
I'm building Ms to my frieds mitsubishi and he is using EVO 8 waste coils and I were wondering how to control them?
Is the this the right way
And does anyone have any suqqestions on the dwells?