no spark to coil

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ubercamaro
MS/Extra Newbie

no spark to coil

Post by ubercamaro »

using MSII w/v2.36 code, mt 2.25, v3 main board and MS Relay board

this is installed in a 1969 camaro with intake from 1992 TPI camaro, MSD 8 pin distributor and MSD dual connector coil.

I set up the v3 board to use hall effect/opto and followed the instructions from the GM HEI section on the jumpers. I originally had the high current driver installed but have bypassed that so the MSII controls the ignition module (JS10 is jumpered to IGN)

I also followed the directions for the tan wire to be off during cranking on on during run.

from my distrib i'm using the pink/white 2 pin connector to the coil and on the other side of the coil the pink is going to battery.

on the relay board, i have tach which is connected to the purple wire on the 4 pin connector of the distrib and S5 (is pin 36 on db37) is going to the white wire on the 4 pin connector of the distrib.

i get crank rpm of about 150 and see it on the engine RPM gauge and have adjusted the general settings to reflect this 150 cranking RPM.

i've tried disconnecting the tan wire to have the ignition module send the default timing as a test without any luck.

im attaching a datalog spreadsheet from my last failure.

i am out of ideas help is greatly appreciated!
Last edited by ubercamaro on Sun May 28, 2006 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ubercamaro
MS/Extra Newbie

no RPM ????

Post by ubercamaro »

ok, i got the meglogviewer and put the xls datalog in that and see no RPM???? but I see RPM on the gauge face of Megatune.... i am confused.

i'm attaching the image from the megalogviewer

ok, found that problem was i had the connection between the coil and distrib unplugged....

so now i see that in the second logview png i don't get a crank indicator until a few events have gone by (see where the pw goes from 2 to 4) then it stops, still no spark.
ubercamaro
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ubercamaro »

i solved the problem. thanks.

it was the coil, i replaced it and voila spark ensued!