need help with Sr20det COP setup

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

stevieg
MS/Extra Newbie

need help with Sr20det COP setup

Post by stevieg »

Ok heres the deal,

i'm running an MS1 v3.0 board, stock ignitor wired instead of vb921's, autronic sr20 trigger disc in stock CAS.

MS was modded by cdndub and is the ecu pictured in this thread at the bottom of the page http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=12851&start=20 (this shows the VB921's installed but I left the key on for too long and cooked them, then wired in stock ignitor)

battery is relocated to the trunk with a 1ga welding cable to the starter, 1ga ground from battery to chassis and chassis to engine, 2 smaller 8ga braided stainless wire ground straps from valve cover to firewall and intake manifold to firewall. (battery/engine/chassis is well grounded)

ECU and stock ignitor are grounded to chassis inside (have tried grounded both to either intake manifold or firewall) CAS is grounded to sensor ground pins on MS, both CAS and MS receive +12v from the same source which is the EFI main relay.

CAS pickup wires are a shielded pair ground at both the sensor ground on the ECU as well as grounded to the valve cover (tried each one seperately)

running megatune 029i as well as just upgraded to 029q2 same problem.

What is happening is if i spin the CAS with a cordless drill i get a rock solid RPM signal and I can see that all the coils are firing appropriately when i have my timing light connected.

During cranking the RPM signal is VERY erratic and I get very intermittent coil firing.

No MS unit resets during all this

problem currently only exists during cranking

It really feels to me like its electrical noise coming down the sensor line

Any ideas?
stevieg
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by stevieg »

well i got it running, ran a dedicated +12v line from the battery in the trunk to power the MS and the CAS and everything seems to be better

I've relocated my battery from the engine bay to the trunk and the oddest thing is that if i connect my power source to the battery side of the relocation cable it works fine, move it to the starter end of the cable and I get noise and rpm spikes and the car wont run.

so it runs decent except for....

car idles and revs smoothly under no load, as soon as i hit about 3600rpm and the boost starts building i'm getting tach spikes that will show up in the log files.

Anybody have any ideas? i've redone all the ground from the battery to chassis, chassis to engine block, firewall to intake manifold, firewall to valve cover. the chassis to engine block and battery to chassis are 1ga with copper ring terminals, the firewall grounds are 8ga stainless braid.

any ideas?

Steve