multiport injector mounting angle???

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

shnitzel
MS/Extra Newbie

multiport injector mounting angle???

Post by shnitzel »

i am about to drill my intake manifold for the injector bungs. with the scenario i am running it will be hard to angle the injectors down the intake runners. it is possible though to point them vertically. is this going to be a problem???

car is a 1.8L turbo honda.

sooooon to be squirting!
lani16
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by lani16 »

i don't think it should be a problem having them vertically,most of the vehicles do anyways. But angled to the valve would be ideal.if you want to have them angled then you can take the manifold to a machine shop and have them add some material to were the bung is gonna be mounted then drill the holes angled. or you can give it a shot if you have a tig welder and some skill but i would spend the xtra $ and take it to the machine shop this should help you out http://www.mez.co.uk/ms4.html
US Goverment Policy>If It Ain't Broke Fix It Ti'll It Is<
shnitzel
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by shnitzel »

thanx for the response. i actually teach high school shop so machining isnt the problem. clearance is.... looks like i'll go vertical unless i can get a weeee bit of angle out of them.

thanx again

shnitz
65ShelbyClone
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 65ShelbyClone »

I imagine you'd like to save money on the project, but is the engine new enough for there to be a factory EFI version of the manifold? That would be ideal with runner up being a fabricated manifold.

You can mount them vertically, but that is far from ideal. Ideal is to have the injector spray the backside of the valve head. It also depends on the spray pattern; some have a pencil point spray that will splatter on the runner wall and others have a foggy fan spray that will get caught in the intake air more easily.[/list]
1972 Ford Pinto - 2.3T, T5, MS-II v3.0.
1968 Mustang - still carbureted...for now.
shnitzel
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by shnitzel »

the engine is well before FI systems for honda. it is an '82 accord engine. the engine is in a 2nd gen civic.

1.6L bored and stroked to 1.8L
ported / polished head
polished pistons
blueprinted and balanced rotating assembly
12lb flywheel
turbo cam grind
kevlar clutch
t3-turbo
lots of msd stuff
pressurized weber carb (now removed for efi)

new injection system:
ms v3 board + relay kit
wideband o2 sensor
removing msd stuff (boost retard etc)
4-450cc injectors
acura vigor throttle body

i'm converting to efi cause its just to hard to make the carb run well under all circumstances. i run it rich, very rich and boy does it go at 9lbs boost. but its waaaaay to rich-idling, cruizing, everything but boost. so here we go! as soon as my injector bungs show up.

from what i read here it looks like i'll stick the injectors close to the head and at as much angle as i can get without interfering with my throttle body. it is reasuring to hear it should run OK with the injectors vertical. but i will try to angle them as much as possible. i hope the injectors are a spray type pattern rather than a stream.
65ShelbyClone
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 65ShelbyClone »

The only way to know the spray pattern is to put the injectors on a flow bench, but that is really impractial for about 99% of the EFI crowd.

Carbs do tend to run a little rich off-boost, but I know nothing about tuning a Weber for blow-through. Holleys on the other hand are more widely used for this and you can get 4 barrels down to 390cfm which would work for a 1.8L. Just FYI. You already have the MS and it will be more efficient.

I would at least consider a sheetmetal EFI intake, though.
1972 Ford Pinto - 2.3T, T5, MS-II v3.0.
1968 Mustang - still carbureted...for now.
mrbell
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mrbell »

Personally, I'd do my best to get them at an angle. You'll be spraying the wall w/ fuel and it's not going to get atomized very well, so you'll end up running rich again.
But that's just me...