Drove car! PIG RICH though. Autotune correctoin 0%???

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Jon k
Super MS/Extra'er

Drove car! PIG RICH though. Autotune correctoin 0%???

Post by Jon k »

I looked up Jims little guide and such and did what he said. My idle is ok, around 13.5 AFR or so. I set up a BRIEF AFR map, mostly around 14.0 - 14.5 at part throttle and 13.0 - 13.3 WOT.

Edit ok realized I had AFR Target off, turned it on... Autotune did a little bit. I think the most I ever saw it do was -2%. But the AFr are still pretty rich. Also, I got a LOT of "vertex" errors.

It didn't make a very smoothe map and also it didn't make many changes. Can you guys help me out?

Before autotune:

After autotune:

I've attached my custom.ini, my datalog, and my MSQ

I am running MS-1 V3 on MSnS-E 029Q2[/img]
Joethemechanic
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Joethemechanic »

I find it easier to manually tune it innitially to rough it in, Auto tune takes a while, too long if it is running real bad.

just set your EGO corrections to 10-15% and step size to 2-3%.
watch the EGO correction guage, if it is 85% the start bringing the ve bins in that region down till it is in the 96-98% range.

This is easier to do in the TUNING screen, you can see witch point of the fuel graph the "ball" is closest to, tune this spot the most.

just keep in mind the Ms is using the 4 points that are currently encasing the ball.

I can usually get one roughed in to ~90% of perfect in a couple of half hour test drives.

I did try making a super high resolution table, from 500-3000 rpm and 30-85 kpa, and went into MT and tried to manipulate the auto tune settings to make it work, though being that it would really dial it in, then I could spead it out for higher RPM-MAP use.
I couldn't get it to work, tha Auto tune kept making way to big adjustments and I desided it was far easier just to tune it myself.
Joe
89 accord 2.0L MS1 2.98 code v2.2 board, then MS1 and Megaspark, then MS&Se.
98 accord 2.3L MS&Se, v3.0 DIS.
99 Prelude soon to be MS&Se'd, turbo'd etc.
72 ElComino 406 sbc MSII v3.0 TBI
92 F250 MSI v2.2 MS&Se
92 twin turbo stealth MS&Se v3
Jon k
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Jon k »

Joethemechanic wrote:I find it easier to manually tune it innitially to rough it in, Auto tune takes a while, too long if it is running real bad.

just set your EGO corrections to 10-15% and step size to 2-3%.
watch the EGO correction guage, if it is 85% the start bringing the ve bins in that region down till it is in the 96-98% range.

This is easier to do in the TUNING screen, you can see witch point of the fuel graph the "ball" is closest to, tune this spot the most.

just keep in mind the Ms is using the 4 points that are currently encasing the ball.

I can usually get one roughed in to ~90% of perfect in a couple of half hour test drives.

I did try making a super high resolution table, from 500-3000 rpm and 30-85 kpa, and went into MT and tried to manipulate the auto tune settings to make it work, though being that it would really dial it in, then I could spead it out for higher RPM-MAP use.
I couldn't get it to work, tha Auto tune kept making way to big adjustments and I desided it was far easier just to tune it myself.
Joe
Thanks joe - I will ahve to try that but i need a driver haha. Also, it seems to be very rich or something right off idle. Say I am at a stop light, it turns green, if i ease the clutch out and the throttle in it bogs. If I blip it past that area I can accelerate relatively normal. Ideas?

Also over run cut works beautifully! I didn't know how I'd get it to cut fuel like that at decel. My OEM ECU would show like 21:1 AFR at decel 0% tps and I think that saves a lot of fuel! I noticed originally my setup was running 15:1 - 16:1 while I decel'd.
78Spit1500Fed
MS/Extra Guru

Post by 78Spit1500Fed »

Jon k wrote:...My OEM ECU would show like 21:1 AFR at decel 0% tps and I think that saves a lot of fuel! I noticed originally my setup was running 15:1 - 16:1 while I decel'd.
This is one of the motivations for doing all the crazy throttle control stuff that OEM's are doing nowdays. Take my Focus for example; If I'm at WOT and then let off, the throttle hangs open and my RPM's are artifically held higher for a moment to burn off that excess fuel. It's irritating as hell, but it does help emissions a bit. (Not fuel economy, though)

-Brian
krisr
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by krisr »

I did the bulk of my tuning with MSTweak and manually 'blended' the map afterwards. MSTweak is an extremely awesome program!
Sydney, Australia
1971 Holden Monaro HQ
MS3X Sequentially fuelled 400 Pontiac
Jon k
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Jon k »

I guess I just need guidance - i need this fuel map puppy smoothed out :(
Joethemechanic
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Joethemechanic »

Jon k, your fuel graph should be fairly smooth if the engine is stock.

as far as your "Blip" is concerned, watch your accell enrichment "AE",

my guess is it is dumping too much fuel.

I turn mine off completelly ( set tps dot threshold V/Sec to 12 or 15 ) this WILL cause a lean spot if the throttle is opened fast at all, but it does allow propper tuning of low rpm fuel. Once you are comfortable with your table bring the AE back in as per the MegaManual.
Joe
89 accord 2.0L MS1 2.98 code v2.2 board, then MS1 and Megaspark, then MS&Se.
98 accord 2.3L MS&Se, v3.0 DIS.
99 Prelude soon to be MS&Se'd, turbo'd etc.
72 ElComino 406 sbc MSII v3.0 TBI
92 F250 MSI v2.2 MS&Se
92 twin turbo stealth MS&Se v3