Ignition Timing Advances even on fixed Angle

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

qadir03
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Ignition Timing Advances even on fixed Angle

Post by qadir03 »

Having some trouble on ignition timing not staying constant on fixed angle. I have locked all of the mechanical advance inside the distributor to set the tigger angle as described in the MSnS Extra site. Everything checks fine at idle, however when the engine speed is increased, the ignition advances. I have set the fixed angle to 20btdc and did some datalogging. Log shows consistent 20DEG, but it still advances to 40-60DEG when checked with a timing light. Is there another way of checking that MS is not sending an advance signal? I am using the 029q2.
Last edited by qadir03 on Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr.Hess
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Dr.Hess »

Do you have the sensor pickups reversed? Try switching them.
qadir03
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by qadir03 »

Tried Switching from schematic 2 to 1, I am able to set the tigger angle with fixed angle of 20DEG. However, the timing still advances with increase in engine speed. I have the tigger angle set at 80+45 = 125. I really don't know what else could be advancing the timing, any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Dr.Hess
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Dr.Hess »

I dont' know what schematic 2 and schematic 1 are. I was referring to the lines going to the dizzy. Try switching them at the dizzy.

Hooking up a MSD6A "backwards" was a technique to provide some spark advance as the MSD would trigger on different parts of the wave. You may be experiencing the same effect.
qadir03
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by qadir03 »

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

I tried an older code and the advance no longer drifts away!!!