Fuel Pump reliability question (or rather stuck in a rut...)

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Jesse
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Fuel Pump reliability question (or rather stuck in a rut...)

Post by Jesse »

All,

I am currently trying to decide on which pumps to go with in my low press/high press fuel system. This is a carb retrofit aplication where I am routing the fuel from my tank, through a couple low pressure pumps (I like redundancy in case a pump fails on the road), into a surge tank, through a couple high pressure pumps (again, redundancy), and then on to the intake.

I am stuck in a descion loop on the choice of adequate pumps and I was curious to know what your suggestions would be. I have read that the Walbro, Facet, Bosch, MSD 2225, and Aeromotive pumps are pretty reliable - but nothing beats true testing. The low pressure pumps I want to use are a couple of Facet cylindrical pumps, while the high pressure pumps are one Aeromotive Tsunami pump and one MSD 2225 backup. I have heard a lot of good things about the Aeromotive pumps, but I hate having to almost sign over my arm, my leg, and first-born child to get them. The MSD units seem to fit the bill, but I am always trying to keep in mind that "you get what you pay for" - and on this line the MSD's worry me.

Can you guys let me know what paths you took for fuel pumps, amounts of time the pumps have been operating before replacement, and any other quarks/complaints/reccomendations you might have?

VERY much appreciated!! Thanks all!!!

Jesse
woh
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by woh »

Reliability decreases with the number of parts in the system. Having two pumps will be less reliable than one. So, unless you are doing competition driving I suggest you use only the high pressure pump located near the tank and below the fuel level. This would eliminate the need for low pressure pumps.

I think any of the name brand pumps will be good. This is a mature technology and these pumps are very reliable. Having said that my preference would be the Bosch all purpose replacement pump for low noise. Bosch has more experience with EFI than anyone.