Ignition table for boosted Type1 engine - feedback please

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ischmitz
MS/Extra Newbie

Ignition table for boosted Type1 engine - feedback please

Post by ischmitz »

All,
here is my first idea for the ignition table for a midly boosted Type 1 Volkswagen engine. It's a stroker with 92mm bore and 82mm stroke displacing 2180ccm. For those of you not familiar with what Type 1 stands for: it's a flat four aircooled engine. This one has a CB Performance Turbo and fuel injection. It currently idles O.K. at 1050 RPM on a MS-II and a Ford HEI ignition controlled by MS-II. I am ready to install the WB oxygen sensor to begin tuning.

Let me know what you think and give me some feedback. I would hate to blow that puppy up. Maybe someone has done Megasquirt on a similar engine. I'd like to get some safe starting points.

PS: The higher advance at 700RPM is something that I have seen in Bosch Motronic system apparently as an idle catch. Does that make sense?
Minami Kotaro
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Minami Kotaro »

If you wish, click the link to my success story in my sig and you can download my fuel and spark maps to have a look at them. They are for a daily-driven 1915 turbo and have worked up to 17psi on pump gas.
1967 VW Beetle
2276 cc
v3.57 board, MSNS-e 029v, EDIS
Check out my ongoing story.
ischmitz
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ischmitz »

Hi Minami,

I red your story and looked at your maps. You run 34 degrees full advance and reduce to 17 under full boost. Have you ever had issues with pinging? I assume you run your water injection and an intercooler, right?

I was going to run this engine very conservative at first. Once I get more confidence, I will reduce the boost retard.

Cheers,
Ingo
Minami Kotaro
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Minami Kotaro »

I don't have an intercooler, just the water injection.

I've been having a detonation problem now that the ambient temperature has gotten really hot. Curiously, it doesn't detonate at full boost but at the onset of boost and again at 10psi.

Hopefully, the new cam and heads will make the engine more efficient and detonation-resistant.
1967 VW Beetle
2276 cc
v3.57 board, MSNS-e 029v, EDIS
Check out my ongoing story.