Modded GM Coil pack, hows it look?

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Jon k
Super MS/Extra'er

Modded GM Coil pack, hows it look?

Post by Jon k »

Ok so what I gathered from some private messaging with users and another thread I started asking about this coil pack is that the unit by default contains a module that controls the dwell among other things. This is unnecessary if you're running individual VB921s to fire coil packs, so I did away with this module by simply cutting it out.

With an Ohm meter I ohmed the terminals where the coils sit to the pins inside the module area and found that there is one terminal that all 3 coils ohm out to. At first I thought it might be a common ground, but then I remembered that coils are triggered via ground, so it had to be a common +12v, or at least that's my understanding, is this correct?

Also, people said that it doesn't really matter which terminal I gave +12v or GND, as long as there was each going to each coil. So, technically, even though the coils all share a common +12v (again, my assumption), had I not had this little coil holder thing, I could have just supplied a 12v source to either pin on any coil and a GND to the opposite pin to that respected coil.

Ok so anyway, my question is, with that yellow wire distributed to those coil packs, is it ok to assume thats +12v?

Then, once that's established, the other pin on the coil goes each to a seperate pin in the module area and thus I assume they are ground triggers for the coil? Will these come DIRECTLY off of the Pin #2 of each VB921? If so, am I golden in my setup?

Thanks guys. I sanded the paint off the tops of the coils and renumbered them according to my engines firing order...I think it is correct:

My engine fires 1 5 3 6 2 4, and so I have 1 and 6 on the same coil, 2 and 5, and 3 and 4 on the same coil, for wasted spark of course. Is this correct?
ptegler
Experienced MS/Extra'er

coil pak

Post by ptegler »

yes Jon K you got it right.
Mine too is a striaght six withthe same firing order

ptegler
ptegler @ cablespeed.com
My Success story: http://www.msruns.com/viewtopic.php?t=21806
Home site: http://www.teglerizer.com/Injected_Spit6.htm
Jon k
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: coil pak

Post by Jon k »

ptegler wrote:yes Jon K you got it right.
Mine too is a striaght six withthe same firing order

Very sick! So may I ask you what the dwell times are?!

Also, where'd you get your spark plug wires or did you make them? If you amde them where do I get the individual parts?