Using distributor axle as output for coil and MS-II

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

svenakela
MS/Extra Newbie

Using distributor axle as output for coil and MS-II

Post by svenakela »

Hi all.

I had an idea today that may work. ...or maybe not, that's why I'm asking. :)

I'm going to squirt an engine in a not so very distant future (hopefully) and I want the box to control the ignition timing as well. If I understand how the coil packages work it's a signal telling where to distribute the spark, right?

My theory is to remove the distributor, use one of those coil packages and run MS as if it's a direct ignition coil control. To tell the coil which spark to fire I'll make an electronic device that I put on the original distributor axle that signals correct spark to be fired of, just as if it was a distributor. It doesn't even have to be fine adjusted, it can pass TDC until it alternates to next spark.

What do you think?
Philip Lochner
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Using distributor axle as output for coil and MS-II

Post by Philip Lochner »

svenakela wrote:To tell the coil which spark to fire I'll make an electronic device that I put on the original distributor axle that signals correct spark to be fired of, just as if it was a distributor. It doesn't even have to be fine adjusted, it can pass TDC until it alternates to next spark.

What do you think?
If I understand you right you should be able to achieve a "Coil Per Cylinder" setup like this which sparks only on compression stroke (ie no wasted spark) - interesting and should work.

My opinion? Sounds like a lot of work and cost for very little gain. I also recon you will most likely end up retaining the distributor body to accommodate the switching sensors etc.
Kind regards
Philip
'74 Jensen Interceptor 440ci (EFI'ed with MS2 and wasted spark + GM 4L60e GPIO controlled - both on Extra FW)