MSD6a settings

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

johnc32779
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by johnc32779 »

Lance wrote:
This isn't related to the flash burn issue, but why do you have the max spark duration set to 25.5? (Maybe it's a corrupt value?)
Frankly, I still don't understand this one, but the reason for the setting is explained here:

http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?p=12 ... ht=#127501

In the end result, I ended up setting maximum spark duration to 25.5 and spark output 'going low (normal)' on blind faith based upon my read of http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/msd6a.htm

My mind still says that spark output should be 'going high (inverted) since an MSD will work with points, and spark occurs when the points open (i.e. going high).
BMW 1971 E3 Sedan; 1989 E34 M30 Engine, 60-2; 5spd-OD
johnc32779
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by johnc32779 »

Lance, thank you for the explanation -- it is a big help getting my head around this one.

For those of us using a timing wheel and have access to an oscilloscope, it would be a big help to have a trigger signal related to crank position available. This would enable a steady and accurate display of what is happening during the engine cycle. With this I am thinking I would have had a reasonable chance of sorting out spark polarity, dwell, etc. on my own, or as a minimum a better understanding of the effect of certain settings. Conceivable, I might have even detected the flash burn issue earlier at the stimulator level.

One possible implementation of the trigger would be have the option in MT to have one of the LED's blink on say tooth 1. An alternate implementation might be to have a LED blink on tooth 1 when the trigger wizard is envoked.

Anyway, just a thought.

BTW, I did edit the limit in MegaTune INI file. The problem is I subsequently forgot to set max dwell to 25.5!

Again, thank you for all you help.
BMW 1971 E3 Sedan; 1989 E34 M30 Engine, 60-2; 5spd-OD