Initial Spark Table

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

morris
MS/Extra Newbie

Initial Spark Table

Post by morris »

Hello,

I down loaded the .xls from the "Initial Timing..." sticky above. The table it gives me shows my idle advance to be roughly 20 btdc. Can this be right? Stock, my car is set to run at 10 btdc at idle.

If this number is off, does it mean the other numbers will be?
keithmac
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by keithmac »

If you`ve commanded 10dbtdc from the VE table and you`re actually getting 20dbtdc your trigger angle is wrong (off by 10) or you`ve put a fixed angle of 20 in (unlikely).

If the trigger angle is off, the whole table will be off.
Squirted VW GTI 16vG60 mk2
morris
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by morris »

I am not currently running spark. I am just speaking of the table generated by the the .xls tool.

The table shows 20 btdc but the car as it is running now (without spark control) is timed at 10 btdc.
alfa75ba
Helpful MS/Extra'er

initial spark table

Post by alfa75ba »

Morris,
few weeks ago I switched to spark control, and was looking for initial spark table too.
My car is also stock set to 10 BTDC, and xls table showed something more than that.
Notice that the upper row is most important, that is your spark advance at WOT. (mine goes from 10 to 32 ). Values in lower rows are gradually rising towards the bottom row.

What I didi after looking at other peoples spark tables is:
I used the xls tool generated table, just changed the whole vertical column around my idle rpm (1000 rpm) to 10 degrees. Left column I raised a bit, , they say it helps bringing back rpms to idle speed.
I attach the spark table I am currently using with no prob., to backup this confused explanation.

Regards, Drazen
morris
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by morris »

Thanks, man!

That is exactly what I needed to hear!

Thanks for the .vex, too.