Question re: VR signal use

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

gboone
MS/Extra Newbie

Question re: VR signal use

Post by gboone »

I'm installing an MS-II w/V3 main board. I bought the assembled unit from DIY Autotune. I'm already using a electronic distributor of the VR type, a MSD-6AL, and plan to control ignition with the MS-II. I found the MS web page for instructions regarding interfacing with the MSD. My question: Do I need to make any modifications to my MS-II for using a VR signal versus a Hall. i.e. is the standard MS-II set up for Hall effect instead of VR? Also I've seen some contradicting info regarding where to get the signal from the ignition system as input to the MS-II. Should I remove the ignition module from the circuit and use the wires coming directly off the distributor pick-up coil?
TIA.
FoundSoul
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by FoundSoul »

Gary-- the ECU you purchased would have been jumpered for a Hall/Optical sensor unless we were asked to set it up for a VR Input, though it's pretty easy to change. It does require a bit of soldering but it is minimal. You'd need to remove these jumper wires:

XG1 to XG2
OPTOIN to TACHSELECT
TSEL to OPTOOUT

And instead add these two jumper wires:
* Jumper VRIN to TACHSELECT on the bottom side of the PCB (near the DB37, opposite the heat sink.)
* Jumper TSEL to VROUT (Or VROUTINV if you want the VR input to be inverted) on the bottom side of the PCB, near the center.

If you're pulling the signal from an ignition module (Like an HEI7) you leave the baord setup as it is (Hall/Opto input) as the HEI module conditions the signal into a square wave.

If you pull the signal from the VR sensor itself, you mod the jumper settings as described above since you're directly reading the VR sensor's sine wave output.
Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'
Founder DIYAutoTune.com / AMPEFI.com

The DIY EFI Tuners Guide – How to Install, Configure, and Tune EFI!

Killer Products We've Brought to Life:
MS3Pro, MSPNP and MS3Pro PNP
More info on MSPNP Models
MicroSquirt AMP'd!