Initial timing map, how does this look to start with?

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

defiance
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Initial timing map, how does this look to start with?

Post by defiance »

I've had my car running of the distributor timing for a while, and I'm about to go back to MS control. I've read through Lance's highly informative description of an initial map, and I think I'm pretty clear on it, but I wanted to post and see if anyone had any 'gotcha' type errors I should fix before starting to run it. Can anyone give me feedback on how this looks overall?

The engine is a mostly stock (internally) 70's era dodge 440. I don't have a dyno on it, but I'm thinking peak power will be in the 5,500 RPM range, and peak torque just below 3,000 RPM. Just guessing, but I think that should be pretty close. The setup will be an MSD distributor sending VR to MSnS-e, which will then be firing an MSD-6A to a coil, back to distributor. One thing of note are the vacuum 'advance' settings; I don't know exactly how wide the rotor is on my distributor, but I worry about going past 45*, so I cut back a bit on vacuum advance as compared to Lance's recommendations. At low advance points it goes around .2 degrees per 1kPa (instead of the recommended .3), but that is reduced as it approaches 45 degrees. Of course, the points where it would surpass 45* are *probably* in portions of the map that are pretty rare, but I just want to be on the safe side (I have no knock sensor)

Is there anything obvious I need to rethink on this? I know I'll need to tweak as I start driving it, but I just want to make sure to avoid 'starting' mistakes...
The years-long project: http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=3043

Other info (stereo, interior, etc):
http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/2324498