It idles!!!!!!! But small issue.. i think.

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Jon k
Super MS/Extra'er

It idles!!!!!!! But small issue.. i think.

Post by Jon k »

I am running a BMW M50 with 3 GM 2 tower coils from a 60-2 wheel running MSnS-E 029Q2... it starts. I need to check the timing to make sure its dead on but I have it at 5 degrees cranking and 5 degrees idling and it runs. The idle fluctuates from like 700 - 880 or so right now but that may be my stock idle control valve (motronic ECU is still in the car) trying to do stuff. I am going to snip the wires and gap the throttle plate but for now I have one issue... I shut the car down, its like the car is still running until fuel pressure runs out - whats happening? I just pulled the key and the car like runs while the key is out of the ignition! What's going on!?
ronsonol
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by ronsonol »

Well, I recently had the same trouble and I always blamed it on a poor ignition switch - which is quite possible.

However, last month I was not very careful and fried my relay board.

After replacing the relay board, I have yet to see one occuration of 'run-on' after I had turned the ignition off.
1983 Jaguar XJS, 355 SBC TPI powered by MSII/V3 running code 2.684/MT 2.25, LC-1 wbO2, 7-pin HEI ignition

1986 Jaguar XJ12, V12, future project?
Jon k
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Jon k »

ronsonol wrote:Well, I recently had the same trouble and I always blamed it on a poor ignition switch - which is quite possible.

However, last month I was not very careful and fried my relay board.

After replacing the relay board, I have yet to see one occuration of 'run-on' after I had turned the ignition off.
Thing is I am not running a relay board - I tapped the main relay for power to the megasquirt. The ECU doesn't connect to the laptop while the ignition key is off, so I know it's not getting power that way.