should ign signal wire braiding be grounded?

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

lani16
MS/Extra Newbie

should ign signal wire braiding be grounded?

Post by lani16 »

MS II V3 Mt 2.5 My question is if i should ground the braided part of my ignition signal wire. This is the shielded type of wire and has a layer of braiding to it (looks like an antenna wire). I ask because i opened my relay board to ecu connector from DIY Autotune and noticed that the wire is soldered to a pin in the connector and so is the braiding inside of it and i'm pretty sure is going to a ground on the connector. Should i ground that wire to the engine somewhere and on the reay board to avoid any unwanted signals going trought it? again thanxxx a lot 4 ur help guys
US Goverment Policy>If It Ain't Broke Fix It Ti'll It Is<
PSIG
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by PSIG »

Shielding functions properly only if grounded and on one end only. Works great if you ground it to the mutual MS ground point. Image
lani16
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by lani16 »

I see now. Thanxx a lot
US Goverment Policy>If It Ain't Broke Fix It Ti'll It Is<
mops
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by mops »

PSIG wrote:Shielding functions properly only if grounded and on one end only. Works great if you ground it to the mutual MS ground point. Image
second that !
I rerun my vr cable and now my shielding goes up to the actual db37pins. works great !
BMW, 1985, E30, 325i, 2-door, 5spd. Lots of custom work. Turbo build in progress: http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55733