How to reach above 6000 rpm on a V8?

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

PowerV8
MS/Extra Newbie

How to reach above 6000 rpm on a V8?

Post by PowerV8 »

I have been looking into using a EDIS-8 module on a Audi V8 engine. But from what I have been reading is the upper limit for this module some 6000rpm.

I plan to use the MS-II upgrade.

The engine I inteend to use it on has a 6500 rev-limit. And since these engines are fairly high-rev and they leave their peak power at some 6000-6200rpm I want to achive a ignition system with atleast 7000rpm capability.

The engine is a "ABZ", thats a 32v 300hp 4.2 liter Audi A8 power plant. They have a seperate coil for each cylinder, installed just above the spark plug.I do however plan to replace the camshafts with some more "GTI-inspired" ones later on. ;)
Audi S4 4.2 quattro 1993
stock with UFO's and oil burning ABH
kev_rm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by kev_rm »

Where are you finding this limit? Is it related to EDIS-8? My EDIS 4 seems to function above 7k
1988 Mitsu Starion
$30/horsepower.
PSIG
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by PSIG »

Some EDIS8 modules have been claimed to have a low 6k rev limit by at least one account. A couple claim over 7k rev limit on their systems, one of them a Lincoln MkVIII and the other a Police Crown Vic IIRC. These are likely with the F4 module. I don't know that anyone has ever verified these limits.

On the other hand, two EDIS4 modules have been paired to acheive much higher rpms on the bench with MS1 on Extra code. The MSII Extra code may be out soon (?) for 2xEDIS4. It would also allow direct VB921 coil drivers which would likely be the best eventual solution. Else one of the mentioned EDIS8 modules should be on your list to try. :D

Hope that helps,
David
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

I was claiming the rev limit on EDIS8 to be about 6500, HOWEVER this is probably related to me using non-resistor plugs. Others have seen more like 7000rpm, presumably with the correct OEM spec plugs.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
thedge
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: How to reach above 6000 rpm on a V8?

Post by thedge »

PowerV8 wrote:I have been looking into using a EDIS-8 module on a Audi V8 engine. But from what I have been reading is the upper limit for this module some 6000rpm.

I plan to use the MS-II upgrade.

The engine I inteend to use it on has a 6500 rev-limit. And since these engines are fairly high-rev and they leave their peak power at some 6000-6200rpm I want to achive a ignition system with atleast 7000rpm capability.

The engine is a "ABZ", thats a 32v 300hp 4.2 liter Audi A8 power plant. They have a seperate coil for each cylinder, installed just above the spark plug.I do however plan to replace the camshafts with some more "GTI-inspired" ones later on. ;)
Why not use the stock coils?
1986 Porsche 944 Turbo
2.7 liter MID sleeved big bore, Wossner pistons, Vitesse Stage 2 turbo, coilovers, various weight deletes, and loads of other stuff.