Can you control idle speed via ignition?

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ihatesissycars
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Can you control idle speed via ignition?

Post by ihatesissycars »

Hello all,

I've heard of a few ecu's being able to control engine idle speed via the ignition, is this possible via ms? I want to control my ignition via my ms eventually but becuase i have itb's on my rover v8 i have no way of actively controlling idle speed other than the air bleeds on each tb which once set stay there so that it'd be cool if i could have some sort of idle speed control. I don't want to tap a iscv into each manifold runner as its complex enough in my engine bay already!

Also, can i control a range rover coil pack setup via edis and ms?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-V8-ignition ... dZViewItem

Like the above one. Its a completed ebay listing so you may have to log in to view it.

thanks for your time people!
mops
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by mops »

hm... not officially, but you can create some sort of setup for controlling idle...

more idle advance will generate higher rpm's... (i.e. make engine stronger...duh).

so thay way io got mine setup is that at 800rpm i run 10 degrees and at 750rpm i run 15 degrees. so basically if the engine falls below 800rpm, it will get extra timing to make it stronger, which causes it to idle between 750 and 800 rpm :)
BMW, 1985, E30, 325i, 2-door, 5spd. Lots of custom work. Turbo build in progress: http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55733
ihatesissycars
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by ihatesissycars »

Ah wicked i never thought of doing that! That should help prevent against any unwanted stalling, thankyou for your help!
mops
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by mops »

no worries man. thats what I have implemented to control idle and prevent stalling and it works great :)
BMW, 1985, E30, 325i, 2-door, 5spd. Lots of custom work. Turbo build in progress: http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55733
coyoteboy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by coyoteboy »

This is done on a lot of modern ECUs as it is a much faster way of stabilising idle than air flow control. I think they use timing to control speed and idle air control to control mixture. These naturally combat each other so its a fairly complex problem.
keithmac
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by keithmac »

I run a 7 point ignitiopn timing table and it works well for controlling idle speed, only problem is if you run aircon or power steering you may also need to run an idle air valve to combat stalling. Ignition advance control only may not be enough on cold starts also.
Squirted VW GTI 16vG60 mk2