Injectors that point backwards!!!!!

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Pilninggas
MS/Extra Newbie

Injectors that point backwards!!!!!

Post by Pilninggas »

Hi,

I'm a newbie presently fitting a ms2 to an FZR1000 motorcycle. I am trying to save myself agro' by using gts1000 tbs ( straignt fit) and Bimota YB11 manifolds with their matched Weber Marelli injectors (308cc/min) - also a straignt fit. Anyway what is bugging me is why the injectors point back toward the tbs. I'm guessing its to aid charge mixing at low loads/rpms, but it still seems a little wierd. Has any one seen this before/does anyone know why the injectors are arranged in this way.

Cheers Merv.
Bow
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Bow »

According to popular belief by engine tuners, this is the best way to get a good air/fuel mix..

However, since it is not very manufacture-friendly to build that way, most do not do it.
Bow
Pilninggas
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Pilninggas »

Bow wrote:According to popular belief by engine tuners, this is the best way to get a good air/fuel mix..

However, since it is not very manufacture-friendly to build that way, most do not do it.
Well if Bimota did it it must have flow benefits, glad to know that this is a better way and that pointing towards the valves is considered a compromise - cheers Bow
detcollector
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by detcollector »

They increase the time the fuel is in the intake and so allow for better mixing at high speed. The down side is they are not good on cold starts, can cause fuel to come out the manifold (the wrong way) which is dangerous.
Not good on cold starts means:-
Bad for emissions.
LOTS of extra fuel required for priming, cranking etc.
Problems with fuel puddling when cold.

Typically a usefull solution for racing vehicles.
Ferret
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Ferret »

I heard that injectors pointing that way have a strong tendncy to clog up. It is probably only relevant if the cranckcase breathers are connected to the intake.

Avner.