Timing my GM DIS ingition

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

TurboGt
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Timing my GM DIS ingition

Post by TurboGt »

First off I am running MSII and a V3 board.

I have recently installed a new engine in my car and upgraded my ingition from the GM HEI 8 pin to the DIS setup (v6 engine). I have the car up and running with little problems, but I dont know where my timing is. Right now the car runs great if I DONT have the relay hooked up that sends 5v to the ingition module to let MS control timing. When I first tried hooking the relay up the car would backfire and die instantly, so I checked my offset value and it was set to Zero. I tried playing around with the offset value and can get the car to run and idle (not very smooth) if I set it to around 23*.

I am using a realy nice SnapOn timing light that lets me digitialy move the timing mark on the balancer to see exactly how far advanced/retarede I am. When I use TrigerWizard to try and set my timing it wants me to match the value I read on the balancer to the one on the screen. The problem is If I take the offset value to low (below 20 or so degrees) to try and match the number the car starts sputtering and wants to die. If I leave the offset value at 23* in MegaTune and use the timing light to see where I am I have to retard the timing value the light tells me below zero(which take me up to 180*) and then down to 168* to read zero on the harmonic balancer.

Also with MS controling the timing the car idles very poor and pops alot, but as soon as I disconnect the relay the car idles very smooth.

I hope I was clear enough, this is very hard to try and explain what I have done.

Any ideas would be helpfull.

Thanks
Marq