Anyone know of an in tank pump that will fit 68 Chevelle?

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jamesawooten
MS/Extra Newbie

Anyone know of an in tank pump that will fit 68 Chevelle?

Post by jamesawooten »

Hi All,

Squirting a 68 Chevelle and adding a TPI system to the 307. I've looked at the VW and Ford External pumps but would like to find an in-tank pump that will fit in the smallish opening in the stock 68 fuel tank. Rigging it up to the pickup won't be much of a problem, but it has to fit thru that hole first.

Does anyone know of a in-tank pump with a diameter small enough to work?

Has anyone done something like this to a 60s' Chevrolet without replacing the tank?

Regards,

Jim Wooten
TV Super Bee
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by TV Super Bee »

I thought of doing that but decided on a BBK external made for a late model mustang. The BBK is very quiet and plenty strong for my big block. I would think you can use any intank pump that will fit in the hole. be very careful with the wiring...leaks...sparks... no good!
1969 Dodge Super Bee
383 EFI dual 65mm throttle bodies, 36lb injectors
"AS SEEN ON TV"
www.moparalley.org/gallery/hollywood
Fastest95PGT
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Fastest95PGT »

Don't forget to make sure your fuel tank is baffled before just tossing a pump in there.
1995 Ford Probe GT ~ Megasquirted & Boosted
275whp/242wtq @ 5.5psi ---- 317whp/287wtq @ 8.5psi
^^^ (thanks to MSnS-E and dyno tuning by me!)
2003 GSX1300R (Hayabusa)
ChevelleFan
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by ChevelleFan »

I haven't talked to anyone who has rigged up an internal pump on an older car like that. Most people (myself included) seems to end up with an external pump. As you note, the opening on the Chevelle tank is quite small, plus the tank is not very tall. By the time you hang a pump on there, you're gonna have a tough time fitting it into hole along with the fuel-level-sender float. I'm not saying it can't be done, just sharing my own thoughts/experiences.

In my first effort, I merely added a second line to the fuel-pickup and used this to feed my external pump. Worked good until fuel got below 1/3 of a tank, going around corners, or hard acceleration. For my second effort, I added a conventional drag-race sump to my fuel tank. I haven't really driven the car enough to have an opinion on how good this works. I have a feeling I'm going to find limitations that I don't like.

There's a place called Rock Valley that will make a custom tank for an EFI Chevelle application (among others). Costs somewhere around $700-800 -- too steep for me.

Frankly, if I was to do it all over again, I'd make up a surge tank and feed it with a stock mechanical pump.

-Dave
'70 Chevelle ZZ383/700r4/3.73 MS3X, 36-1, LS Coils, Holley Stealthram -- success story
'92 Saturn 1.9 DOHC/5sp, MS3, Champcar racer success story
'79 Malibu DartSHP400/80mm/PG/3.55, MS3X/36-1/LS Coils -- success story
Porsche 944 S2 3.0 -- MS3X/36-1/LS Coils, 1:44s Mid-Ohio, Pro Course
Fastest95PGT
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Fastest95PGT »

I plan on going with a surge tank as well for my carbed application. Even though I can weld, I'm not going to chance it with something like this so I'll buy a prefab'd one. I'm hoping to find an "inexpensive" one but haven't been able to yet.
1995 Ford Probe GT ~ Megasquirted & Boosted
275whp/242wtq @ 5.5psi ---- 317whp/287wtq @ 8.5psi
^^^ (thanks to MSnS-E and dyno tuning by me!)
2003 GSX1300R (Hayabusa)