ignition cuts out at higher rpm

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

V8BUG
Helpful MS/Extra'er

ignition cuts out at higher rpm

Post by V8BUG »

MSII embedded code 2.1, megatune 717, gm small cap 8 pin hei distributor, tuned port intake, 283 sbc, autolite 26 plugs.

The engine will fire right up and idle great when cold, and also restarts fine when hot. With the engine in park and no load it will rev fine, but if I slowly advance the throttle and slowly bring the rpm's up it starts to break up around 3000rpm. It does not break up bad enough where the engine dies, rather it just break up a little and keeps increasing in rpm.

When driving the car it has very good low end response, does amazing burnouts :D , and cruises quite well. If I launch from a stop it will pull real hard up to about 3000rpm and then it will cut out, then a split second later it will come back to life and pull some more, then cut out again, then pull some more.......

I have tried every conceivable combination of ve tables from very lean to pig rich. I have also tried tons of different req fuel values. I a fairly certain it is not a fuel problem but a spark problem. I started with a msd blaster II coil, then switched to a coil off my father 69 gto, and now I am using a coil off his 92 buick roadmaster (which has a small cap 8 pin hei) None of the coils made a difference. I have the max dwell set at 2.5ms just like the manual says for remote coils. All the grounds to the distributor are good. The cap, rotor, and the module are new. I bought the distributor as a new replacement part.

Could the module be fried? I feel the wiring and hopefully the program are correct since it idles and runs at low rpm so well.

any suggestions/ help would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks,

Matt
mxmang
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by mxmang »

hey man, you should add me on msn or aim or yahoo

mxmang@hotmail on msn
mxmang on aim
boredstoonguy on yahoo

i have this problem too and i think we need a dave cap but nobody seems to answer these q's and the mega manual says to consult the forum BOOOO :)
V8BUG
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by V8BUG »

well I went ahead and stripped out the module from my dads roadmaster and put it in my distributor. The car runs alot better, but still cuts out alitte, now at about 4000rpm. I am going to buy some msd super wires that are soppused to have like no resistance and still have tons of surpression.

I am hoping it was just a bad module. I will post with results in a couple days mxmang

thanks,

Matt
zguy36
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by zguy36 »

sounds like your vb921 is fried...... swap itout with a new one and you'll have the problem licked. Look at my post (Direct Coil Control) and maybe you can get some help from the people who looked there.
V8BUG
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by V8BUG »

I dropped the distributor in at 10 dbtc pointing at number 1 with the "teeth" on the reluctor lined up.

I will load new code and run the new megatune, I probibly should have done that anyways.

I will let you know what happens.

Thanks,

Matt
V8BUG
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by V8BUG »

loaded the embedded code 2.36 and am now running the release megatune. The car runs absolutly amazing!!!! It ran well before except for the higher rpm, now it pulls right past 4000 up to 5500 where I set the rev limiter like an animal!!!! I think the smoothing factors or something are making the difference. I will try and make a datalog this weekend.

thank you very much!!!!

:D :D :D :D :!: :D :D :!: :D :D :) :D :!: :D :) :) :D :D