Charge time EDIS coil

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

JeroenBosma
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Charge time EDIS coil

Post by JeroenBosma »

I blew my EDIS coil today while firing it directly with the coildrivers on the V3.0 board. I probably neclected the chargetime, being 4ms standard in MT.

So, now I have a coil with 0,5 ohm on one side and 0,8 ohm on the otherside. Which leaves me to 1 option, get a new one.

But, I don't wan't to fry it again.

Does anyone know what a reasonable chargetime would be for an EDIS coil ? I have read about the HEI coil whitch should be good in 2,5 ms.

Would it make sense that it fried at 4ms ?

Thanks !

Allmost there... At least it is better running then on carbs and C-breakers.. But that aint hard...
JeroenBosma
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by JeroenBosma »

Thanks Lance.

Double checked the way it was charged and it should be fine.

I am running on LPG (Propane gas) and was trying to get a decent fuel constant for the injectors. So I kept it running for quite a long period while retuning the maps. I think that is what killed it.

If 2,5ms is typical, I over boosted it with more then 50%. I have learned this can be very harmfull for the unit. And to make things worse, this was an old one from the junkyard.

Better get a new one and set the chargetime to a decent value. I'll stick to 2,5ms to start with.
JeroenBosma
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by JeroenBosma »

Ok, got meself 2 EDIS coils. So I can destroy another one :|

Let's see if this one will hold on on 2,5 ms and maybe get a friend to hook up a scope.

Need to buy one myself......
JeroenBosma
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by JeroenBosma »

Started het up, but I blew the VB921. It actualy made multiple sparks into the MS housing, It sounded like that... And it produced smoke.... Well it was probably dead when I tried the new coil... The otherone on the board seems to be ok, though.... Have I missed a component ?
JeroenBosma
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by JeroenBosma »

Whell, installed a "new" coilpack from the wreckyard and played around with the dwell times. The odd thing: I got two Ford EDIS coilpacks and one was running on 1,1ms, but the otherone was not.

Finaly I ended up on 2,5 ms and the VB921 stayed cool and the coilpack was not warm too. So I guess 2,5ms is a good starting point and 4ms is defenetly not for an EDIS coilpack.

Good luck you all !